Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at Ruger's latest piston offering dubbed the SR-556CLA. The "C" is for carbine and the "LA" is for light adaptive rail.

This one's very similar to the SR-556C with the differences being the forend itself and the way the forend is attached to the barrel. The CLA uses two large Allen screws rather than the roll pin used on the Troy rail. The gun ships with two sections of rail that can be placed anywhere along the sides and bottom of the handguard. Ruger also enclosed three plastic covers that can be used as insulation or for a better gripping surface. Otherwise, the CLA is set-up like most other rifles in the SR-556 line. It comes with three Magpul mags, the zippered carrying case, the Troy sights and the chrome lined bore.

I've only got 210 rounds fired and am still getting used to it. It balances great--it might actually be a little butt heavy--and the new smooth handguard is thin and ergonomic. My bathroom scale says the weight, unloaded, is right at seven pounds. This just might be my favorite SR-556 yet...

The gun right out of the box:

Gas parts remain unchanged:

The semi-auto bolt carrier. Note the radiused tail end to help with carrier tilt:

Railed on top yet smooth on the sides:

Note the fluted barrel:

The mountable plastic rail panels:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for posting this. Good information and great pictures.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some accuracy results from today's outing. The day was overcast and generally calm with an occasional gust. I used an old metal sign to help stabilize my target stand. All groups were fired off a sandbagged rest from 100 yards. All groups were fired using the Leupold 1.25-4x scope.

Ten rounds of 75gr Hornady BTHP loaded with H335:

Eight rounds of 56gr Golden Tiger FMJ:

Ten rounds of 52gr BTHP loaded with AA2230C:

Eight rounds of Speer 45gr spitzer loaded with a max load of H335:

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I am really glad to see Ruger continuing to grab its share of the AR-15 market. There for a long time the company would not produce a military looking rifle.

Back in the 1980s and 1990 Ruger did not want to get into the military style rifle market. Those decisions probably held the company back for a couple of decades.

Ruger is one of my favorite brands of firearms, I am sure their AR-15 family will have the same outstanding quality as the rest of their firearms.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Seems like Ruger researched everything but shrouding the firing pin. Seems like it is almost a perfect rifle in my opinion. Shrouding the firing pin and making the BC full-auto would make it perfect. Great groups and nice rifle.

TG

·
Registered
176 Posts
Seems like Ruger researched everything but shrouding the firing pin. Seems like it is almost a perfect rifle in my opinion. Shrouding the firing pin and making the BC full-auto would make it perfect. Great groups and nice rifle.

TG
I'll second this. The Ruger AR is on par with any AR that I have personally seen and even though it is a little pricey, you get A LOT of value for that money.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't shot the SR-556CLA in several months. Most of my shooting, AR-wise, has been with my SR-556E. Both models are very similar but I like the E since it allows me to change out muzzle brakes and experiment.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I am looking to spring for the Ruger SR 556E in the next few months. I am glad to see another happy owner. I haven't heard anything bad about the newest model, and it seems to be reliable and accurate. Thanks for the info...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts