Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a Ruger Single Six in stainless with the 5.5 in barrel. Any thoughts or opinions on this gun? The price is $530

·
Registered
34 Posts
The "New Model" has been in production since the early 70s, and the three screw version since about 20 years before that.
Almost three quarters of a million of the old models, and over a million and a half new models produced in different variations?
I doubt that you'll be disappointed, they're great little plinkers.

David

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's not a bad price at this point in time if it comes with both LR and WMR cylinders.
I have two, both blue, one 5.5" and one 6.5".
The 5.5 is a plinker, the 6.5 is for packing around the farm and has the magnum cylinder in it.

Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: RJF and Rockys Pop

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,679 Posts
my big Brother shot me in the chest w/a Speed 6 w/a Hollywood blood pellet
30 yrs later I shot him in the a** with an Old Army .44 w/a paper wad.....good times....30 yrs was a month ago btw......lolol

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I love my Single Ten. It was in that same ballpark several years ago. Today that seems like a bargain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OP, that was my choice in the Fall of 2020; it's my favorite firearm and typically goes to the range with me. The only alteration I made was to put on a Williams fiber optic sight on the front due to my ageing eyes. You won't regret it and Ruger has a well deserved reputation of fixing any issues if they should arrive. Something broke on my internals and Ruger had it back to me within a week after I sent it in...

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Have had a Super-Single-Six Convertible .22LR/MAG since 1983 (bought new): my first revolver. A very fine piece and it became my late-wife's bedside gun loaded with .22 CCI Maximag HPs. Her arthritis made "racking a slide" or anything more powerful very painful, and that results in not practicing. She loved that pistol and it is still in what was "our" nightstand - on her side of the bed. She was a dead-eye, and I never doubted her ability to defend herself with it.

When it came time to get another revolver for the barn (exclusively for shooting snake-shot at Copperheads), I got a Heritage .22LR revolver. I didn't want to score the SS6 with snake-shot. One thing (after thirty+ years of ownership of a revolver was the safety on the Heritage - something that took a bit of getting used to but now love. Just a function of mindset and muscle-memory. They are not as much a work of art as the SS6, but functional for my purposes. The SS6 would be great in a display case; the Heritage in a drawer ready to shoot Copperheads (or use blanks to encourage an obstinate horse to come in from the pasture).

OP: the price seems about right for these times. Knowing what I know, I would go for it if I didn't already have a blued one with so much sentimental value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts