Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger MK11 22 pistol boy it shoots great,But I bought the 22/45 with 4in bull barrel if you love to shoot the 1911,but want to save money,this is the way to go.It shoots as well as any target pistol,plus it feels just like a 1911 in the hand. I think its worth twice the MSRP.Any one have experience with the 22/45?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is the frame on the 22/45 polymer or steel?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Plastic frame guns (call it what you want, it's still plastic) just don't do it for me, but you can't go wrong with the Ruger Target pistols.

My MK I with the 5 1/2" bull barrel is the most accurate .22 pistol I've ever owned. I chose the "standard" type grip shape solely because I couldn't stand the thought of a plastic frame (and the 22/45 wasn't available back in the 70's when I bought my first one).

If you really want to have a great gun that trains you for the 1911, you might want to check out the Ciener .22 conversion for the 1911. Costs about the same as a Ruger and is exactly like the 1911 (uses the same frame).

I held off for years because I just didn't think a conversion would be accurate enough.......but........picked one up a few years ago in a trade. WOW!! It's the Ciener "target" model and is amazing.

Would you believe 2 1/2", 10-shot groups at 50 yards. That's minute-of-rabbit head. Not quite as good as my Ruger, but very acceptable and is great practice for the 1911. Unit can be switched to the .45acp in a minute if the bigger caliber is needed.......or switched back to .22LR when you arrive at the camp.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I too have a MkI. Love it to death! I have shot the 22/45, and realy like it. I want a ceiner conversion for my RIA 1911, but doubt i'll ever be able to afford one.... Somehting wrong about spending that kind of money for a conversion.......

Billy

·
Registered
62 Posts
The same thoughts I had for years......too much money for a conversion that probably won't shoot that good anyway. Boy was I all wrong!!!

You will never regret the money spent on the Ciener conversion. Feels fantastic in the hands (for a 1911 fan anyway), has the weight to be super steady, and shoots as good as 95% of the dedicated .22 semi-auto pistols you will ever own. It will likely become your most used .22 pistol.

Also you can't totally discount the "cool" factor. I have built a walnut case, lined in velvet, that holds my 1911, both the .45 slide and the .22 ciener unit, 20 rounds of .45acp and 50 rounds of .22LR ammo, and a few screwdrivers and cleaning rods. The look on your friend's faces when you open the case and in a minute or less, convert from man-stopper .45 to rabbit-slayer .22LR is..........priceless. You will definitely be the envy of everyone at the camp or range.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This pistol is worth every penny. I had a Stainless Ruger MKII with 4 inch bull barrel. Gawd I loved that thing, I let it go to fund another project and I kick myself every time I think about it now. Just as good, if not better than those high priced target models. Plus, it shot every thing I put throught it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Love mine! Over a thousand rounds, no failures. 2245.JPG

Possibly the best money I've spent on a gun.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Only 1K rounds???? Light weight!... Mine must have 25-30K! Of cours I've been shooting mine since 94' :>

I used to burn a whole brick every time I took it to the range when I was in HS.... Those were the days!

Billy

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah, I just got it for Fathers Day. Definitely a good armadillo burster.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just curious, what do you do with the amadillos you shoot? I'm from Texas and those ugly-assed things are something of a state symoble here. I got some friends that actually eat them. I've never tried it......not that brave. If I had to in order to live, I'd probably eat the hind end of one. Like I said I'm just curious.

·
Registered
340 Posts
carefull with the dillo's. They cary leprosy.... Yep! That thing from the bible... Its all over the SW. Where ever you see an Armadillo, you will find leprosy. Its treatable, but not fun to live with.

Interesting side note, when a Dillo' give birth, it ALWAYS has a pair of Identical twins. They are realy popular for research, because you can always have a pair of geneticaly identical subjects. One for control, and one for experement.

Billy

PS. FatDady, how do you like that reflex sight? I'm thinking about one for my 10-22

·
Registered
869 Posts
garza1290 said:
Just curious, what do you do with the amadillos you shoot? I'm from Texas and those ugly-assed things are something of a state symoble here. I got some friends that actually eat them. I've never tried it......not that brave. If I had to in order to live, I'd probably eat the hind end of one. Like I said I'm just curious.
I used to not even bother them when I was a kid except for the occasional game of kick the dilla. Left unchecked they will turn a nice yard into a moonscape though. I have a flock of buzzards that never leave my back fence row. I always just chuck 'em over the fence and the buzzerds pick them clean. I've always heard the leprosy thing too, but something that looks like armoured taint is in no danger from me eating it.:D

·
Registered
869 Posts
devildogmech said:
PS. FatDady, how do you like that reflex sight? I'm thinking about one for my 10-22
It's fun to play around with and looks cool, but to be honest I don't think it's any more accurate than the iron sites. I can't acquire my target as fast either. It would probably work better on a rifle though because of the cheekweld on the stock would help you line it up faster.
It has about 6 different crosshairs/dots/brackets/circle-dots but the only one I use is the dot. The others are just too much to look at. I was told that I wouldn't be able to see the red dot in the sun by a few folks but that's bunkuss, it's very easy to see on the higher settings.
I think it's made by Famous Maker about $85 locally. I'm glad I didn't spend big money on one out of the gate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I miss my bull barrel 22/45. I did have a problem with mine--the magazines had a feeding issue where the bullets would not enter the chamber. The bullets were point too high in the magazine. I ended up practically giving it away as I sold it and a Mossberg 500 field combo for $200.

·
Independent Field Tester
967 Posts
I have a 22/45 I just bought a Tactical Solutions threaded upper for. Going to try it out today. I really like the balance. I was worried the ultra lite weight wouldn't feel right but was I wrong. We will see how it shoots.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've had two of the Ruger Mk II's w/ 6" standard barrels. The first one, a blued model, disappeared (I later found out my room mate stole it). The second was a stainless version. I traded it for something else I thought I needed. Both tied for the most accurate pistols I've had.

I just put a steel frame Mk III Hunter on layaway. Boy am I looking forward to that new plinker!

Jon

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
I used to not even bother them when I was a kid except for the occasional game of kick the dilla. Left unchecked they will turn a nice yard into a moonscape though. I have a flock of buzzards that never leave my back fence row. I always just chuck 'em over the fence and the buzzerds pick them clean. I've always heard the leprosy thing too, but something that looks like armoured taint is in no danger from me eating it.:D
ARMADILLO = POSSUM ON THE HALF SHELL :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
FatDaddy, I'm with you 100% on armadillo blasting !!!! I'm also in South Georgia and I DESPISE armadillos!!!! I went out about two weeks ago to check on some of our property and shot 5 in about an hour

Here's something redder than *******! : EVERY year for the past 10 years SOMEBODY runs outside and shoots an armadillo at my grandmother's house DURING Christmas Lunch!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I just bought a Ruger Mark II to accompany my Ruger 10/22 and the FIRST day I shot it (yesterday) I zapped an armadillo @ 40yds with it!!!!:D (....and the rest of the day shooting at paper targets I couldn't hit a damn thing <_< .....)

I'm glad to see another SoGa guy on the board and I'm DOUBLY glad to see someone else exterminating those crater-making rats!!! They've moved in to South Ga like a swarm of locusts over the past 10 years and they tear up everything in their path. These things have NO redeeming value!

No sympathy for the 'dillos!:angry:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I got my MKIII Hunter! It is a different one than the one I had on layaway. The initial model was with the 6 7/8" barrel. Then one came in with a 5 1/2" barrel.

Talk about balance! I've never had a gun sit so perfectly in my hand. Interestingly, there is no reference to the 5.5" barrel on Ruger's website, in their catalog, or anywhere else I've looked.

If anyone else sees one, I STRONGLY recommend you handle it.

Jon

1 - 20 of 31 Posts