Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on the hand guards that look like they are original Ruger Mini-14 / Mini-30 hand guards but with the recessed rectangular areas?
I assume these rectangular areas with the holes in them are for mounting aftermarket rails such as a 3" or 4" Magpul?

Can anyone confirm this or lead me in the direction of a place to purchase them with some info as to what models/years they fit?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I got to thinking about this some more...

If that handguard clips onto the barrel like the OEM 'guard, I hope you weren't thinking of buying one of these and mounting an optic on it. The first time you field strip, clean, and reassemble your rifle, your zero will be off.

Where'd you find that pic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the pic from someone who was selling a used one, but didn't know any details about it.
I will steer clear of this one because I did intend to mount an open reflex sight on it. I'm new to the mini-14s and I don't care much for the rear peep sight, I prefer something I can get a bigger sight area of while aiming.
I can't seem to find a rear open sight replacement so I guess optics are my next option.

Do the scout style rails from Amega or Aimpoint have the same issue with loosing zero once stripped and cleaned?

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I got the pic from someone who was selling a used one, but didn't know any details about it.
I will steer clear of this one because I did intend to mount an open reflex sight on it. I'm new to the mini-14s and I don't care much for the rear peep sight, I prefer something I can get a bigger sight area of while aiming.
I can't seem to find a rear open sight replacement so I guess optics are my next option.

Do the scout style rails from Amega or Aimpoint have the same issue with loosing zero once stripped and cleaned?

The Amega/Aimpoint/UltiMAK mounts actually replace the top of the gas block, in addition to being secured to the barrel. They're rock solid, as far as I can tell.

As for an open rear sight... I've never seen one on a Mini -- nor have I ever seen one offered by anyone in the aftermarket. I think the general consensus nowadays is that "ghost rings" or peeps are more natural sighting systems, so that's the way Ruger went and they have stuck with it. Doesn't necessarily mean they're right, that's just the direction I've seen most rifles go lately.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Viva, That is a handguard from an ATI Strikeforce stock, They come from the factory on the new 582 Tactical series. The cover mounts to the stock with 3 screws -- 2front and 1 on the left rear... the 2 cutouts are for a Picatinny rail that bolts on. The complete stock is Part # a.2.10.1007 from ATI. Their website is. ATI | Gun Stocks | Forends | Rails | Advanced Technology International, individual pieces and parts are available. A longer bottom rail is available Part# a.5.10.2040 for mounting longer front grips (eg. magpul AFG2) .. I don't have anything mounted on my top rail, so i can't say if when removed and reinstalled it will hold zero for mounted optics.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Get aGG&G rail and an Eotech 512 Holographic site and you will be all set and have a nice siteing system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.