Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting another revolver in .357, currently have handled a SP101 and really liked how it felt. I see a lot of folks mentioning the GP100 too and wonder what the differences are other than the 6 shots in the GP and 5 in the SP?

· Registered
8,460 Posts
I am thinking of getting another revolver in .357, currently have handled a SP101 and really liked how it felt. I see a lot of folks mentioning the GP100 too and wonder what the differences are other than the 6 shots in the GP and 5 in the SP?
Size and bulk, along with a nice adjustable sight package and a replaceable front sight on the GP100. The GP100 is basically an L-frame competitor whereas the SP101 is a bit bigger and heftier than a Smith J frame. I just wish they'd come out with a 6 banger version in .38spl only - nice replacement for the Colt Detective Special that I grew to revere as a much younger man.

The GP100 should be pretty much a lifetime gun with a diet of .357 whereas the K-frame M19 Combat Magnum was not (S&W intended that to be a .38 that could on occasion be used with .357's whereas the L frame was intended from the ground up to take a steady diet of .357's).

Don't know if you're a traditionalist, but the GP takes nicely to Hogue wood grips. The SP101 is bigger than the J-Smith in the pic but smaller than the GP100 for reference.

Best,
Grumpy

· M.I.A.
1,475 Posts
I have both and still can't decide which I like better. My SP101 is a 3" and carries quite handily. The only time I've felt under gunned is in the southwest mesas in cougar and black bear country, when in the sheep camp. This is the main reason I also picked up a 4" GP100, so now I carry a "brace" of pistols. Now having carried over many years I think I would break it down like this:

2" SP101 - EDC concealable belt revolver.
3" SP101 - EDC CCW or general use kit/pack revolver
3" GP100 - can be concealable..general purpose kit gun.
4" GP100 - I have boot grip, and can conceal...if I have to (but probably never will). General purpose can do anything personal sidearm.

If I were only limited to one gun, hesitantly, I would say the GP100 with a 4" barrel. I can still conceal if I absolutely have to, but the SP101 is so much nicer for this.

You said another 357. If you don't mind me asking, what do you currently have? Are you looking to cover a niche you don't already, or add another one for redundancy?

· Registered
2,273 Posts
I have both also. SP is my carry piece and the GP is an all around shooting piece. My favorite though is any of the old six series. 4 inch security six is sweet and a 3 in speed six is a better carry piece then any sp IMO.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
I have both also. SP is my carry piece and the GP is an all around shooting piece. My favorite though is any of the old six series. 4 inch security six is sweet and a 3 in speed six is a better carry piece then any sp IMO.
Just got a 4" Sec Six on layaway last week! Now to wait another month so I can finish paying for it...

Best,
Grumpy

· M.I.A.
1,475 Posts
I had a security six with the 2 3/4" barrel. One of the dumbest things I did was loan it to a friend who had just moved to the sticks and started experiencing problems with cougars coming through and messing with his animals.

Back on topic. Wahoo, since you already have a 6" if I were you I'd be looking at the 3" SP101 or a 3" GP100. Depends upon how much concealment you want. Personal opinion here, but I've always preferred the 3" SP over the 2". I've found the extra barrel length pulls it in tighter to the body when IWB, and the longer sight radius is nice too. Of course it's easier to find holsters for the 2"...

· Registered
2,273 Posts
Just got a 4" Sec Six on layaway last week! Now to wait another month so I can finish paying for it...

Best,
Grumpy
Nice score, I think you will really enjoy that piece. I shot mine in a few PPC competitions and brought home a couple trophies.

If you don't mind me asking, what did that set you back? My mom has mine for a bedside gun and I was thinking about looking for another.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Nice score, I think you will really enjoy that piece. I shot mine in a few PPC competitions and brought home a couple trophies.

If you don't mind me asking, what did that set you back? My mom has mine for a bedside gun and I was thinking about looking for another.
Hi Jeff F;

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this. My first "adult guns" I bought with my own money were a 4" Security Six (blue) and a Mini 14 (blue) since I couldn't afford the M1A, Colt AR15, or MKIV Series 70 Colt I just had to have according to the gun press (bought 'em all eventually though! :D ). Getting back into the Mini a few years ago and the Security Six in another month is kind of like unwinding the clock a few decades. Now if only we could do that with some other things too....

How much is it setting me back? Five even, but that's a NIB gun with accessories.

All the best,
Grumpy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.