Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody own a Ruger GP100 .357,I have one with stainless finish,me and a friend took it out to the Range.I have got in a habit of using paper plates when pistol shooting.They make excellant targets. We got tired of shooting them at 25yrds as it became to easy.We were using .357Mag loads that I had reloadded.And moved out to just past 40yds I dont think either of us missed the plates until we became tired.We then switched to some factory .38wadcutters at 25yrds we would have been lucky to have hit the side of a barn.Is their an explanation for this?Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
282 Posts
It has been my experiece that most 357 guns do not shoot as accurately with 38s. The additional freebore space in the cylinder seems to be the culprit. That extra 1/8 inch of generally directed travel before the forcing cone can allow the bullet to ever so slightly enter the forcing cone less than straight.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Gee, I can't remember the last time I was even accused of having good sense.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There was an article in either Shooting times or G&A awhile back on reloading .38's to shoot in a .357. It said to seat the bullet an 1/8" farther out to compensate for bullet jump, even wadcutters. I haven't tried it but it may help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts