Perfect Union banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger finally moved the 5819 (stainless Tactical) from it's "Law Enforcement Only" side, over to the general consumer side. People have been eyeballing mine for quite some time, and asking me how to get one. I'm hoping that they hit the gun shops en masse, as they are damn fine little carbines.
Ruger® Mini-14® Tactical Rifle Autoloading Rifle Model 5819

·
Registered
182 Posts
And awesome looking! Sure wish I could get my hands on one of those!

I wonder what happened to the one that came with the Amega mount that used to be on the LE portion of the site?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And awesome looking! Sure wish I could get my hands on one of those!

I wonder what happened to the one that came with the Amega mount that used to be on the LE portion of the site?
Not sure about that. Possibility is that it just wasn't a big seller. I tell people that my 5819 is the ultimate "sport utility rifle"! Ruger definately got it right on these stainless tacticals.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Possibility is that it just wasn't a big seller.QUOTE]

This is my 2 cents...
Is this model really in demand by law enforcement? I would say, "probably not". In my mind, I think Ruger is trying to liquidate their inventory of this model before the AWB.
Guido

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm glad they finally went that direction. Really, what legal difference is there between a blued 16.5" barrel with a flash hider and a stainless 16.5" barrel with a flash hider?

I'm still trying to figure out how to get ahold of an OEM Ruger SS birdcage for my standard A/W Ranch Rifle...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just buy it. I don't ask for forgiveness or try to buy her off either.

·
American realist
316 Posts
^^ what he said ^^

·
Registered
1 Posts
Confused

Hello, I'm new to the mini 14. I ordered a 5817 stainless on Dec. 31st 2012. I have 2 questions. 1st: In looking at Ruger's website and the link posted here for the 5819, I can't tell the difference between the two other than the flash supressor. Can someone explain it to me? I am interested in switching my order to the 5819 if there is an accuracy improvement. 2nd: anyone have an educated guess as to when I might actually to recieve the one I ordered form Ruger given the current buying frenzy. My gun dealer has not been able to guess.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
5817 = 18.5" barrel Ranch Rifle.
5819 = 16.5" barrel Ranch Rifle w/ flash suppressor.

No difference other than barrel length and the flash hider. ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
When they say barrel length of 16.12" is that including bird cage? Or is the barrel alone shorter than that?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm glad they finally went that direction. Really, what legal difference is there between a blued 16.5" barrel with a flash hider and a stainless 16.5" barrel with a flash hider?
What he said

They definately look sweet!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks Gunner. Trying to decide if I should cut mine down and put a Brake on it. Then register it with the Feds or leave it alone and no registration required? What would you guys do? Besides moving out of state!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do rifle barrels in NY have to be longer than 16''? If so thats crazy!

From what I understand, you can cut the barrel down under 16'' if you permanently attach a muzzle device to bring the length back to the legal 16''.

Thats whats specified by the feds. If you cut it below the 16'' mark and dont permanently attach a muzzle device to bring it back up to the 16'', then you must register it with the feds.

However, the 223 needs a certain amount of barrel length to build up a decent amount of speed. IMO, anything less than 14'' and I'd go with a different caliber. Plus that thing will be one loud sucker!

Its all up to you though man ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts