Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a question. I've been reading alot about, and saw a video on utube, about Ruger factory 30 round mags having a lot of problems. The guy on utube demonstrated tha the could not load the new mag past 18, and even then it was failure to feed. I have read a couple of threads here and there about the new ruger foctory 30 round mags, having feeding problems. Doe's anyone know any info on this? I was thinking of getting one or two. I have 14, 20 round promags that I broke in and trust. 4 a shtf do you think it would be more tactical to go straight with 20's? Giving the barrel just a little break between mage changes. i think so. i have a thin barrel 580, with a ventalted choate hand guard., to help with cooling and I'm just not comfortable with the 30's factorys, especialy if they are currently having problems. CHIME IN GUYS. wHAT WOULD YOU DO

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I don't have any of the new factory 30's and am not planning on any in the future. I do have a couple older factory 30's that are 100% reliable but I don't really care for them, they are long and get in the way. I use factory 20's and either a 10 or 5 round mag depending on if I'm on an ATV or horseback. The 20's would be my go to mags for social situations.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have (2) 30 rounders and (6) 20 rounders. Have not tried the 30's yet but I'm with Jeff 30's get in the way, I think the way to go is Factory 20 rounders...if you need more than that you've got big problems...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got 2 factory 30s. I've only used em once. My mini is pretty new to me, but each of them was loaded to capacity with m193 5.56, and had no fails to feed or anything else. I'll post back when I get a little bit more ammo through them, but at least right now, mine seem to be running just fine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Maybe because you have a thin barrel, cooling may be an issue and thus 20s better. I have 10 30 rounders and 10 20 rounders. Used about 5 of each, and I haven't had any issues with them.

And I have a Ruger magazine loader, and no problems loading all of them to the max.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't think anything is wrong with the 30's as long as the are reliable. I just prefer the length of the 20's better (more handier that way), but thats just me...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought 1 from a gun shop in my area that has been great. The second one I got from midway was defective. Where the seam is welded on back of mag it it was separated near one of the spot welds and the follower would hand up in this area when loading and unloading. I sent it back to midway and they replaced it with one that was made properly and it works as it should. Both of these two are 100% reliable loaded with all thirty rounds. I think there are some bad lots out there so inspect it before buying.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I bought 1 from a gun shop in my area that has been great. The second one I got from midway was defective. Where the seam is welded on back of mag it it was separated near one of the spot welds and the follower would hand up in this area when loading and unloading. I sent it back to midway and they replaced it with one that was made properly and it works as it should. Both of these two are 100% reliable loaded with all thirty rounds. I think there are some bad lots out there so inspect it before buying.
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to look out for that...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Gosh you guys don't know how lucky you all are being able to buy
high caps. Here in Corruptfornia, that is just another of our past freedoms
that are no more...:(
Girlie Man State :lol: Love it! You can still own 20's right?

As others have already stated the 30 round mags leave a lot to be desired. They take longer to load, are heavier, have tough springs so they can be difficult to load, and they rattle around in the mag well. Because of their length and weight they have a small amount of play and don't feel as sturdy as the 20's. I own 2 30's and 6 20's and I almost always favor the 20's.The 30's are impossible to insert with the bolt closed, and you have to dent the top round to get em to lock. They take a while to break in and after time they become easier to load and function properly. I have the 30's sitting in my ammo can loaded and ready if I need em, but 20 rounds is sufficient and aesthetically they seem to look right on the Mini 14. The 30's look a bit out of proportion but that is just an opinion. All in all they function well but have some drawbacks (not problems) that make them less desirable than the 20's, which are cheaper anyways. Grab a bunch of 20's and you won't have to deal with these small issues.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
Im with everybody else. I have a 30rd. Ruger mag but dont use it very often. Its in the way, takes to long to load, heavy, but so far its been reliable. I have a bunch of 20rd. ruger and some promag 20's that are all 100% reliable and just all around much better for the mini platform.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts