Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my first 30 rd factory magazine - ordered only one as I wasn't sure I'd like 'em.... and I don't :) I admit to being an old M1A guy and I use a conventional stock but I really don't care for having that much stick hangin' out. The 20 rd mags look right and carry right in my reality. I know more is supposed to be better but I think I'm stickin' to the twenties.

My tacticool friends are going to be so disappointed in me :lol:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm with you there. 9 times out of 10 my Mini comes out of the safe with a 5-rounder and a 10-rounder, occasionally I'll load up a 20-rounder or two. I've got some ProMag 30s that function flawlessly, but they're not optimal for what I use my rifle for.

Having said that, I also have a KCI 100-round drum mag in the safe. It's been loaded once and ran like a Swiss watch, but then I got to doing the math -- $0.30 per round x 100 rounds = $30. For range duty, I'd rather load a 10-rounder 10 times or a 20-rounder 5 times...

I keep the KCI, though, as my Zombie backup. :lol:

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I prefer the 30rd magazines. Although I ONLY use them in my AC-556. Twenties just dont cut it in that gun.

In my old Mini-14 I only used 20rd magazines. If I every buy another Mini-14 Ive got pleanty of 20rd mags

At the range I take a 20rd mag. I put 3 to 5 rds in to shoot groups. I let the gun cool between groups, usually 15 mins

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
All of my mags are OEM Ruger and I have never had any issues with any of them. I bought almost all of them from Hoffmans back when they had em dirt cheap. I own only two 30 round mags and rarely use them. Actually they are at the bottom of an ammo can probably. After that I own 6-8 20 rounders that I take with me to the range.

The thirty rounders are awkward and tend to wobble around in the mag well. This is really the biggest grip I have with em. They also take longer to load, and while at the range they offer no real advantage. Maybe in a combat situation they would come in handy and help to consolidate ammo for carrying purposes. They are just not as comfortable or practical as the 20's.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here in the great state of NY we're limited to 10, but for range time i actually prefer the 5s anyway. It keeps me on a better pace forcing some cool off time between groups and keeps the ammo bill a little lower.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like 20's . my home is in the foot hills of the ozarks so when you walk out my door in any direction its going to be up hill on the return trip . I have learned to travel light and use what I need not what I want. the 20 round mags for my min-14 and ar15 rifles are easier to handle in thick brush , lighter and less likely to gouge you in the back when the rifle is slung. besides I really dont anticipate needing more than one or two shots incase I run into a varmint.
I am not really to concerned with running into pirates or stage coach robbers
or the taliban where I live , except for the guy who went to semo on a sudent visa and then tried to blow up the federal reserve.:unsure:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, with all the bad talk about the 30 rounders, anybody wanting to sell their used Ruger 30 rounders?
I would sell mine if I had more than just the one. Not many Mini shooters in my area but I'll keep an eye out with a hope to trade my Ruger 30 rounder for a Ruger 20 rounder.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have 6 factory 30 rounders, 4 P.I. 30 rounders, and about 8 factory 20 rounders. All work perfectly but the gun always goes with a 20 rounder in it. The 30's are loaded in a carrier as back-up.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So, with all the bad talk about the 30 rounders, anybody wanting to sell their used Ruger 30 rounders?
Although mine see very little action, I like to have em around just in case. Especially if another ban were put in place. I don't favor them, but not enough to unload em.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
All of my mags are OEM Ruger and I have never had any issues with any of them. I bought almost all of them from Hoffmans back when they had em dirt cheap. I own only two 30 round mags and rarely use them. Actually they are at the bottom of an ammo can probably. After that I own 6-8 20 rounders that I take with me to the range.

The thirty rounders are awkward and tend to wobble around in the mag well. This is really the biggest grip I have with em. They also take longer to load, and while at the range they offer no real advantage. Maybe in a combat situation they would come in handy and help to consolidate ammo for carrying purposes. They are just not as comfortable or practical as the 20's.
My sentiments exactly! (except that my mini and mags are pre-ban, so no hoffman deals)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Gotta agree that the 20 rounders just look "right" in the gun.

And its more firepower than I will ever need unless the zombies come knocking :D

So I have 3 20s, and one 5 rounder because I love the flush look as well. In Iowa, with a population of ~3 million people and almost all of the state being farmland you deal a lot more in distance than multiple targets....even if they are all zombies!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've quite enjoyed the responses in this thread - thanks to all of you.

Just a heads-up, Midway has the factory 20 rounders back in stock. No affiliation, just a customer.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm with you there. 9 times out of 10 my Mini comes out of the safe with a 5-rounder and a 10-rounder, occasionally I'll load up a 20-rounder or two. I've got some ProMag 30s that function flawlessly, but they're not optimal for what I use my rifle for.

Having said that, I also have a KCI 100-round drum mag in the safe. It's been loaded once and ran like a Swiss watch, but then I got to doing the math -- $0.30 per round x 100 rounds = $30. For range duty, I'd rather load a 10-rounder 10 times or a 20-rounder 5 times...

I keep the KCI, though, as my Zombie backup. :lol:
Ok, so you have Promag 30 rd magazines that work perfectly? Are they steel, and what model/year is your MIni, because I just bought my 1st factory Ruger 30rd magazine last week and got it in 2 days ago. I was lucky that I found it for as little as $36, because most dealers want $40-$45 for them, so if I can save some bucks and buy good aftermarket steel mags for 1/2 price, I'll start doing that.

I started a thread about this issue about a year ago or more, and the general consensus is that you are better off buying all Ruger mags, and that cheaper ones will have problems.

Also, I have 2 Ruger 20rd mags, which I prefer to use for general shooting vs the 30rd mags, but I dont doubt that there will be another round of assault weapons bans, with the mandatory bans on magazines as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.