Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post where it was suggested that Ruger did some cold tempering of their barrels i.e. cryo treatment. So I emailed Ruger for the straight skinny and below is my reply from Ruger FYI:

"Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 02/14/2013
Request No: 182250

Comment / question:

Are the stainless steel series 582 Mini-14 rifle barrels cryogenically treated by Ruger prior to sale? I am considering having my series 582 SS Ranch Rifle cryo treated but if it has already been done I don't want to waste the money. I've been told that Ruger does it to the SS barrels in the newer Mini-14s. Is this true?

Response:
No, Ruger does not Cryogenically treat the Mini-14 barrels. Thank you for your emaill. "

· Registered
727 Posts
I doubt cryo has much, if any, affect on stainless. WRONG, I had both my mini 14 and mini 30 cryo'd, both are SS and it did make a difference on both guns. Both are 196 series guns and are good shooters, not looking to trade for the newer models. Consistent 1 1/4 to 2 inch groups with both guns. I did glassbed them and had trigger jobs done but I definitely feel the cryo was a huge plus comparing before and after targets.

· Registered
10,504 Posts
I also have a 196 skinny barrel that a cryo job improved accuracy and stringing but I have a target model and 6.8 that shoot well without a cryo and don't string.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
I doubt cryo has much, if any, affect on stainless. WRONG, I had both my mini 14 and mini 30 cryo'd, both are SS and it did make a difference on both guns. Both are 196 series guns and are good shooters, not looking to trade for the newer models. Consistent 1 1/4 to 2 inch groups with both guns. I did glassbed them and had trigger jobs done but I definitely feel the cryo was a huge plus comparing before and after targets.
Oh! Right on, good to know!

· Registered
33 Posts
Cyroed my target model and it turned a good shooting weapon into a great shooting weapon. Most noticeable after the barrel heats up. I spend very little time bench shooting and use it training for if we ever have the forecasted zombie invasion.:D:D Accuracy seems to remain close to MOA even as the barrel heats up. All of my rifles and pistols were done by David at Cyropro. They have to be in the cyro process for three days so it won't be an overnight thing for you.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.