Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent my 581 back to Ruger because I discovered a wear hole in the bolt from the ejector rubbing up against the bottom left side of the bolt. There are other posts about this exact same problem. It only took Ruger 11 business days to repair and send back to me my rifle. I asked that if they had to replace the bolt would they allow me to keep the original firing pin and fit it as a spare for the new bolt. They complied with my request. So now I have a new bolt assembly,
new ejector and a spare factory fitted firing pin. I am more than pleased with Ruger. Always have been. Oh by the way. I sent the rifle back for repair wearing a Sparta stock. Looks like that didn't matter. Hats off to Ruger and their quick turnaround.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They must not like me, I made the same request and they didn't even send back my original firing pin much less a spare fitted one. My experience with them has been horrible, I had to send mine back twice (they still have it).:angry:

·
Registered
317 Posts
They must not like me, I made the same request and they didn't even send back my original firing pin much less a spare fitted one. My experience with them has been horrible, I had to send mine back twice (they still have it).:angry:
They know you kicked a puppy as a child! LOL
Seriously good luck on a return in the near future.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a new Mini 30 Tactical. Had trouble with the trigger not resetting after eact round. Took the trigger assembly out and compared to my stainless 30 and two Mini 14s. popped my stainless Ranch assembly into the tactical for a few rounds to see if it cycled and reset - no problem. Hard to explain, there is a steel peice that bridges the left and righ sides of the carrier/housing. The one on the 30 Tac was missing from the factory. The piece is needed to hold enough pressure on the trigger reset spring. The areas where the bridge should of been connected were even blued - so the defect was present before the entire housing was blued and assembled.

So. . . I called Ruger and explained the whole problem expecting the normal direction for my rifle to be returned to the factory. The shipped a new housing to me! Disassembled the old one and transferred all parts to the new housing. My Thirty runs great now! It was nice to get the part and not have anyr extended unnecessary down time. Very good customer service.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I sent Ruger a 184 series that was missing the trigger group and the bolt. They replaced both and also replaced the recoil spring and gas cylinder. They did all that for NO CHARGE!!! I will always be a fan of Ruger customer service. While they had my rifle, I called them and asked them if I could buy a rear sight for a friends gun. That showed up in the mail 2 days later, again NO CHARGE!!! Call me lucky I guess.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Took me twice also, but eventually got what I wanted. The first time they failed to include the old pin. They said send the rifle back, and they'll refit another one and be sure to return the old (new) one. Final result was best of all worlds, actually- now I have a brand new pin in the rifle, and a brand new fitted spare pin.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just called CS to check status, they've had it a week tomorrow and haven't touched it yet. I'm not even going to bother asking again about the firing pin.
At least you got next day air. Mine just got there yesterday. So I'm looking at a long wait. I don't care as long as they fix it right the first time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Same here, but since it was the 2nd time they paid next day air. Not that it made any difference, they've had it over a week and haven't touched it. All the raves about Ruger CS is over blown in my experience. I just hope they get it right and I never have to talk to them again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Back a few years ago when they were making the big hype about the new 580 series all of its improvements, and the supposedly thicker barrel. I bought it hook, line and sinker! Then about three months later I was in a pond shop checking out to see if they had any old guns to scavenge to fix up and I saw something quite odd mini 14 580 series with the thick flanged barrel and birdcage flash suppressor. This was the first time I had ever been aware that my gun was not the improved one. Only the receiver had been reproved.

It was the infamous 580 thin barrel, but it was sold to me as the 580 new and improved thick barrel. I had to do quite a bit of tuning to it in the first month, including putting one of Kevin's Accu strut its and locked typing it on. I cannot find anybody that will put a flash suppressor on the barrel without me having to spend a lot of time without my rifle. I called the customer service explained that I had got a thin barrel 580. The first three phone calls. I can't get the same guy, and he can't tell me know know know all 580s came with a thicker barrel.

I can't tell and him know know know mine does not have the thicker barrel, about the fifth time that I called in and explained to him that it was sold to me from Ruger as the 580 new and improved thick barrel, but it had the thin barrel. He told me if I seen any in he would replace the barrel with a brand spanking new one for no charge at all, but it would probably take about three months, at this point I had Artie tweaked my guns so much. I don't think the barrel swap would do any good. Besides, I don't was at any time without my rifle!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just checked the repair status again, the CS rep said it's being worked on. I asked if he could tell me an approximate shipping time, he told me it would ship when it's done. I found that to be very helpful.;)
I can't wait to get my stripped AR lower so I can start building it and hopefully never have to deal with Ruger again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shot the rifle over the weekend. Shoots great. While cleaning it I noticed that Ruger must have removed my gas block and reinstalled it because I can tell the screws have been restaked. At 25 yards at a rest at an indoor range I was able to shoot a 1/4" group at 25 yards with Fiocchi 50 grain V-max. I use a Leupold Prismatic scope on my 581. Great for hog hunting. Out past 100 yards the illuminated crosshairs cover up a good bit of a target's center. So overall I very pleased with Ruger service and the 581 I own is a keeper and now I have a fitting spare firing pin and plenty of factory mags. All I need are some Zombies and or hogs to exercise the rifle with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.