Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
My friend who works for Marlin said that if approved, Ruger will take all the machinery and no humans. So I guess we will see how that works for Ruger. We all know what it did when Remington did the same. He said after it's all said and done, there will be only 200 people left working at the plant in Ilion.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Glad to hear that. Ruger is a great American company and build good stuff. I’ve bought more new Rugers than any other brand of firearm. If you add in the used ones I’ve bought Ruger would be my most purchased brand, 4 minis, 8 revolvers and 2 .22 autos. Some were gifts and some have been sold off but I’ve still got a bunch. Hopefully Ruger will build great Marlins without the learning curve that Remington went through.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Don't forget that Ruger has some history with lever gun production, albeit with rotary magazines.

Well I sure would love to have a quality lever gun in .22 short/long/lr, .38sp/.357 mag, .44sp/44 mag, and 30/30 in STAINLESS with a good ghost ring/peep sight. Who knows, I might even give 45lc a go if it had my desired features. :eek:

I would be fine with wood or laminate or even synthetic furniture but regardless they should come with sling swivels. Kind of a daily carry, working man's lever gun in the tradition of my beloved Mini-14's and Mini-30's. :lol:

I love Henry, but all my calls for the features above have thus far fallen on deaf ears. Marlin has been off my list since the Remmington acquisition. Rossi at least makes affordable stainless but the quality has by all accounts been very hit or miss. Additionally, I can't figure out a way to easily fit a peep to the Rossi, and I do not have and am not myself a gunsmith.

So...Ruger...if you you have indeed made the purchase and you are listening...this Ruger fanboy has offered you his wish list! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 40nascar and Jonjeo

·
Registered
183 Posts
My friend who works for Marlin said that if approved, Ruger will take all the machinery and no humans. So I guess we will see how that works for Ruger. We all know what it did when Remington did the same...

I'm confused. Everybody is "glad" to hear that Ruger will take the machinery and lay off all the Marlin workers, just like Remington did, thereby causing the whole "Remlin" quality control scandal?

Did I miss something?

Be safe.

·
Banned
8,598 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love Ruger firearms as I probably own more of theirs than any other single manufacturer.
However, over about an 11 month period back in 2016/17, I purchased three new revolvers from them. A 6" non-fluted cylinder GP100 for my youngest's 21st birthday present, and a .44 Special GP100 for myself, along with one of the 8 shot Redhawk models in .357 magnum for myself as well.
The boy's GP had a flat spot on the leading edge of the cylinder, no clue how it could have gotten through QC and out to the public that way.
They replaced it so all was good, but geez.

The Redhawk was fine mechanically, but the fit and finish of the round butt laminate grip panels was very poor, they took it back and attempted to 'rework' it, which resulted in them polishing on the frame of the revolver to the point of in my opinion ruining it. Crazy.
When I emailed photos of it to a QC manager he shipped a replacement no questions asked, so again all was good.
He also admitted that the task was done by in all essence, an apprentice.
Two trips to get it right though, why would that have even happened unless they weren't bothering to inspect the work of an apprentice?

The .44 Speical GP was fine less an unusually large gap between the bottom of the dovetail front sight, (hate that they changed the design to cut costs), to the top of the barrel.
I'm talking a gap that you could slide a small stack of folding money in, or a knife blade.
When I contacted them about it, they refused to do anything about it saying that was the way it was designed. Really?
In communicating with them further, it was all but admitted that they had purchased a run of the fiber optic front sights from whom ever it is that makes them for them, that were not exactly 'in spec', but they were using them anyway. Really really?
They did send me a replacement sight with a simple brass bead free of charge, which I very much prefer, that closed the gap considerably.
But there is still light to be seen between bottom of sight and top of barrel.

I still love Ruger firearms and have bought some more since then, but none of them new, that is until backordering the tactical Mini 30 last month.
Here's hoping that I don't regret not sticking to used ones when that comes in one day.

I understand the volume that they're having to crank out in an attempt to meet demand, but I would've expected better from Ruger over other manufacturers.

Reactions: 40nascar

·
Banned
8,598 Posts
Wait! I forgot about the 2014 model 10/22 for dear old Pop, which I did purchase as new old stock a couple of months back.
That one was fine other than the fact that the front sight would pop out of the dovetail with just a few shots.
You could push it out with your finger with minimal effort to the left side.
A couple of well placed 'pings' fixed that.
Well that and the trigger being about seven pounds and gritty, but that was to be expected after the two deluxe model 10/22s that I purchased for my sons back in 2013. Egads!

I'll be happy when they're no longer running at full capacity plus in order to try and meet demand, so that the quality that we expect returns, but I don't know if those days might just be gone.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Ruglins? My friend got let go as part of the Ruger buying Marlin thing. He moved to Florida and got a job with a company that's in the AR15 business. He worked for Bushmaster when they were brought to Rome. He is an AR15 expert.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Hard to understand, but that's what Remington did. Took no employees and the equipment that Marlin had was older than the hills. During the transition the employees took the extra steps of sabotaging equipment even to the point of making it unsafe. One machine was wired to the outside of the machine so that if you plugged it in, you could have been electrocuted.

Marlin was certainly running on a wing and a prayer. The employees kept the out of date junk running because of their experience. Ruger has the advantage that the line was re-tooled with new equipment. Certainly easier for a transition, if you can guarantee that things stay the same and are not monkeyed with or certain things lost. You can't always easily replace experience. They have to know that.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
First: all the employees at Marlin were offered jobs at Illion. It was an 80 mile drive. All of the ones who declined to move went on the Marlin Owners Forum to Trash Remington for the last 10 years. IE; just like the Trump Haters, they never got over it.

Second: all the Marlin Parts being made on CNC machinery came with the new drawings and programs and tooling to make the parts. Ruger has plenty of CNC Machinists that can run those parts, so I wouldn't worry about production.

Assembling them is not that hard. I can do it, and I have never worked there.

Last I have an in with Ruger and talking to him I think we'll see the 1894's and 1895's, and 336's first. I doubt that much of the rest of the product line will follow since Ruger already has all the Rimfire Bases covered and their .22's are far superior to anything Marlin ever made in that respect.

I do have some influence and I and others are trying to get some changes made to the 1894's with slow twist barrels. Ruger already knows about 1:20 twist of the .44's and .45's since the 77/44 has a 1:20 twist barrel. Ruger also makes all it's own barrels as well as plenty for many other makers so that is not a big stretch. I'm also getting the Chamfer on the Chamber Mouth, which makes feeding problems a thing of the past.

We'll see how it all turns out, but I lobbied hard for Ruger to buy Marlin the last time around, but got there too late.

This time will be the best thing that ever happened to Marlin.

Randy.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
It is about 80 miles from Ilion to Albany. It’s 83.3 miles on I90. To CT would be a further Drive.

I think Marlin going to Ruger is a positive outcome. I wish my friend didn’t have to uproot his family from where he lived his entire life. But I went though buyouts twice in my career. Always came out on the short end. But better in the long run.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.