Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem getting registered for the board but finally got through. I went to the basic Ruger armorers course for the Mini-14 and am familiar with the regular and Gov't (GB) models. I might be able to help with some questions if anyone is interested.

No Longer Involved

Registered
I will try to answer any question on the Mini-14 also. I have been to the Ruger Armorer school, and I am an Armorer, whose primary departmental weapon is the Mini-14. R6721

Registered
OK.

What is the torque spec for the gas block screws?

Is a jig really required to service the gas block during the reassembly? How critical is the alignment to accuracy?

Registered
Ptjg0707, you wanted the torque spec for the gas port assembly allen screws? Well, quess what? There isn't any. They(Ruger) just mention tightening the allens in "X" pattern and to tighten until the "Gap" between the upper and lower assembly is even and uniform and restake to prevent loosening. As far as using a jig during reassembly, I have never used a jig nor is it mentioned in the armorer's manual. Alignment is more critical to the operation of the rifle than the accuracy. Here is what it states in the armorer's manual, "IMPROPER SEATING OF THE GAS PORT BUSHING INTO ITS COUNTERBORED SEAT IN THE BARREL COULD RESULT IN SEVERE DAMAGE TO THE BARREL". Hope this helps, R6721

Registered
Thanks for the fast comback.

I was thinking if carefully torqueing down the gas block will improve barrel dynamics and improve accuracy.

How good is the fit between the gas block and the barrel? Have you tried to lap the gas block?

Registered
Great. I just posted a question about what GB stood for. I read on to find out. Government. Ok.. What's the diff. between the two (or various models). Lucas

Registered
I have a mini-14 series 180 with a broken extractor. I have not been able to find a replacement. Do you have any suggestions?

Registered
I purchased a Choate pistol grip stock for my Ruger Mini-30 SS. I'm assuming I need to remove the metal liners from the inside of the factory stock and move to the new Choate stock. I removed the screws from either side of the stock, but I don't know how to proceed from here.

Any instructions would be appreciated.

Registered
carl, depending on the ser pre fix you can find it at brownells. an extractor for ser 187-188 for example is 780-014-004 and a bank breaking 6.49. might want to replace the spring 780-000-803 at 1.49.later

Registered

Registered
After removal of the screws, you need to remove the metal piece that the screws were attached to. This piece is flexible enough that you can gently squeeze it together with your fingers by grabbing it at the bottom of the magazine well. In order to get a grip on this piece you might need to use a flat head screwdriver to seperate it from the mag well, but be gentle. Just squeeze it and pull it out from the top. Next you need to remove the metal liner from the fore-end of the sock. Lift the rear most part of this piece and gently push it forward to seperate it from the U shaped forward most part of the stock. Now install these pieces into the choate stock by reversing the directions that I just gave you and you should be good to go. Please report back on the quality/performance of your new stock.:usa:

Registered
MW740

Thanks for your advice. Two other subscribers had previously e-mailed me with the same instructions. Thanks to everyone who replied!

The directions that they and you gave me worked great. I am very pleased with the new stock. I have shot the rifle twice and have found it much more comfortable for me.

The only "problem" I had with the stock (and I wouldn't really call it a problem) was that it took quite some time and lots of gentle nudging to drop the action into the new stock. I was probably being too gentle, but it took considerable effort the first time although it has loosened slightly in subsequent removals.

I can highly recommend this stock to anyone wanting a synethetic pistol grip stock for the Mini-14/30.

Thanks again for all who helped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts