Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm new to all this I just shot a ar for the first time yesterday loved it now I want one I've been looking and the ruger 556 is what gets my attention but I have some questions about the accuracy at 100 yards 200 yards extra because i am looking to make this into my varmint rifle and is it possible to put a more accurate barrel on the ruger 556 if it is please any input is welcome

·
Registered
852 Posts
The AR platform is as accurate as you make it. From what I understand the SR556 is a very accurate rifle, but as with any rifle, you have to find the ammo it likes. Some like 55gr, others 62gr etc. From what I have read, you can swap the barrel, but it is a pain with the way they have the transfer pin and handguards affixed. The handguards are proprietary, again from what I have read, and that means that you can't swap them out for any other piston compatible setup if you don't like the Troy handguards. Also, I see that the bolt carrier leaves the firing pin un-shrouded. That is a no-no because then the firing pin is much more likely to break from cycling against the hammer.

My opinion, if you are going for a varmint rifle, I would go with an 18" Mid-length gas system in a heavier profile barrel and assemble it yourself, or purchase the lower and upper separately. This way, you can at least get an upper that you want (or as close to it as you want). I would check out this barrel... Blackhole Weaponry AR-15 18" Mid-Length Stainless Steel 5.56 1:8 Poly Barrel - Surplus Ammo

I have a 16" version of it and it is very accurate. The twist rate allows for greater variety of bullet weights to be used and it comes with a free upper. Plus assembling yourself makes it possible to really get to know your rifle. You can always buy an assembled lower and just build the upper too.

Or, if you want to stay 16" check this out. Surplus Ammo & Arms Match Stainless Steel 16" 1:8 Polygonal Mid-Length HBAR Blackhole Barrel AR-15 Upper Recevier - NO BCG, CH, HG - 5.56 - Surplus Ammo

Here is another website that has terrific quality and excellent customer service. I have one of their 7.62x39 barrels and can shoot one ragged hole at 100yds all day. SkeletAR -5.56 -16""

In my opinion, you can get just as good of quality or a better quality AR for what you will pay for the SR556. You just need to do some homework. There are also lots of videos on youtube from midway and Brownells on how to build an AR, so it is very easy to follow for a beginner. A few simple tools is all you need. Plus you get to know your rifle and have the tools to change or fix things when you need to. There are lots of options with the AR. That is a blessing and a curse. You can't have just one AR.

I hope this didn't confuse you too much and helped you out.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

I belong to AR15.com forum and a member there had a new barrel swapped onto his SR556. He recommended Marvin Pitts, who is a machinist employed by Wilson Combat. I believe his email is in the forum link here.

But anyways it is possible. I own a SR556E model, but I haven't shot it out past 100 yards yet or off a rest. I mostly shoot it prone and kneeling for training purposes, and it has been plenty accurate IMO. I get good results with the heavier 62 gr stuff. I use the XM855 surplus for practice and the MK318 HP for home defense. Its a nice rifle, super reliable, and very easy to break down and clean. On the other hand it is a bit on the heavy side, and after optics and accessories it has put a dent in my wallet. I had my eye on that rifle for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger over the summer for fear of a ban on assault rifles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm no expert with the AR but I think if you are looking for a longer ranged gun for shooting small targets maybe you should find an AR that is more universal in its parts fitment so you will have an easier time of installing a heavier, longer varmint or target type barrel. Maybe there are other piston AR's that fit that criteria.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for the helpful info I'm still wondering if I put a good scope like a 3*9*40 or bigger wat kind of groups could I expect out of the ruger or any other 16 inch barrel ar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts