Perfect Union banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
timlt said:
I've found that my 10/22, a new stainless model from this year, is quite accurate but only with certain ammo types. The best accuracy results I've gotten thus far are with that new, super-fast Aguila "Super Max" 30gr HP. With this stuff, I could shoot 1.5" groups (bench rest, using 8x power on my scope) at 100 yards. No kidding! It's the highest velocity 22LR ammo that you can buy, shoots at 1750 fps, with 204 ft lbs of energy. Try finding ANY other 22 ammo with those ballistics; the list is pretty short if there are any at all. I found that, while typical 22LR ammo at 100 yards can drop 8 to 12 inches or more, this stuff barely drops at all, maybe an inch or two. I'm not kidding, it's like shooting a centerfire at 100 yards.

The one potential down-side to note with this ammo is, the first brick of it that I bought was very greasy and dirty. It fed ok but really slimed up my action, would sometimes cause misfeeds in my mags, and really required good cleaning of the gun. If I get more that's this dirty, I'm going to find some way to clean the ammo before using it.

You can get the Aguila ammo, and see a few user reviews, here:

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/Aguila_22super_max_hp_box.html
I want to update this post. After talking to a gunsmith who did some customization on my rifle, and I added a new target barrel, I no longer use the Aguila ammo. The stuff was really accurate at longer distances (for a 22, of course), and made my 10-22 shoot like a .17 HMR or a magnum, but the trade-off was not good. The gunsmith told me that Aguila is getting these results by packing large, super-hot loads into these rounds, and he feels these kind of loads in a .22 LR will actually damage your rifle if you use it for very long. So, sorry if this disappoints anybody, but based on his recommendation, I'd suggest you steer clear of the Aguila super max 30gr HP stuff. Their other stuff is fine, BTW, if you want to try that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wouldnt the use of a bolt buffer reduce the wear and tear from the HOT ammo?

Reactions: reverendg

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
devildogmech said:
Wouldnt the use of a bolt buffer reduce the wear and tear from the HOT ammo?
Sorry, I wouldn't know. The guy at CPC who did the customization work on my 10-22 knows a LOT about 10-22's, and he recommended strongly against using specifically that hot Aguila load, though he didn't have any problem in general with using high velocity .22LR ammo. I think the concern with the Super Max Aguila might have had something to do with wear and tear in the barrel. If you're curious, it might be worth asking Gundoc his opinion on this. Don't know if he hangs out much in this forum; you might have to PM him.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Aguila Super Max has a longer case. It can damge your lands and rifling in tight match-chambered barrels. This also applies to CCI Stinger and CCI Quick Shok.

Usually other than that high and hyper rounds are fine. CPC does fine work. I got a bolt done there and my groups tightened up 50%. I have a stock bbl and can shoot 1-1.5" groups easy with most ammo.

I recommend trying Wolf Match Target if you can find it. It will run about 25-35 a brick, plus shipping. I can get sub-inch groups with my 10/22..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 10/22 carbine that is atleast 30 years old with a 3x9x40mm scope. Its been a tack driver since day 1. It shoots a strait as I can aim sub 1" groups at 50yds from a lead sled. And shoots real good out to 100 yds. Best ammo is the Winchester wildcat. Not sure if it's made anymore. Never had any feeding issues even with the old 25rd plastic ramline brand clips from long ago.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,935 Posts
I have a 10/22 carbine that is atleast 30 years old with a 3x9x40mm scope. Its been a tack driver since day 1. It shoots a strait as I can aim sub 1" groups at 50yds from a lead sled. And shoots real good out to 100 yds. Best ammo is the Winchester wildcat. Not sure if it's made anymore. Never had any feeding issues even with the old 25rd plastic ramline brand clips from long ago.
This is an old thread you revived........but it's a useful topic and deserved to be revived.

My Rugers perform about the same as yours.

I use Federal and CCI as ammo of choice.

One thing I know.......a replacement trigger will make smaller groups easier to achieve.

The ammo shortage must be getting better.........my LGS had a couple 300 packs of Remington Thunderduds in stock yesterday. I chose not to buy.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an old thread you revived........but it's a useful topic and deserved to be revived.

My Rugers perform about the same as yours.

I use Federal and CCI as ammo of choice.

One thing I know.......a replacement trigger will make smaller groups easier to achieve.

The ammo shortage must be getting better.........my LGS had a couple 300 packs of Remington Thunderduds in stock yesterday. I chose not to buy.
Haha smart decision those things are notorious for being crap 🤣

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well then, accuracy on the 10/22 hasn't come along since 1978. My '85 Marlin 60 will shoot circles around my '78 Sporter Deluxe 10/22, no matter the ammo. To be fair though, that Model 60 will outshoot just about ANY .22 rifle made.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts