Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
i have had mine for almost a year and love it. good no bs article. loved the part about everyone having a surplus sub moa rifle.

·
Registered
345 Posts
as far a a niche i dont know. i did not buy it because i am a preacher of the scout rifle concept. i thought it looked cool. i wanted something with more punch than a 223. it is a light, short handy rifle. everyone who shoots it falls in love with it. come on up to ohio and you are more than welcome to put some rounds thru it.

as far as quality goes it is a ruger and i have always had good luck with ruger quality. i have many examples in my safe and all are good shooters.

·
Tracker
178 Posts
I like the Gunsite Scout rifle, But I can't justifie $1,000.00 for any rifle now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought the same thing until I held this rifle! I just got mine about two weeks ago and its a left handed model. While I was never into the scout thing I completely understand it now. This rifle is unbelievable. I would buy another if I could find one!

·
Registered
345 Posts
what did you pay?? i was just over 800 out the door.
the gunsite is one of those rifles you have to shoot to understand. the haters say its on old concept the purists are mad cause it does not use stripper clips (the new ruger poly mags are able to be top loaded). none of them have shot it. magazine and internet reviews are great but you are still going by what the author thinks of the gun.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
the haters say its on old concept the purists are mad cause it does not use stripper clips (the new ruger poly mags are able to be top loaded).
I am having a problem figuring out what niche the scout rifle serves?

The idea of a bolt action rifle with a detachable magazine is appealing, but not $800 appealing.

If the Ruger Scout rifle cost in the $400 - $500 range, it would probably get a lot more love.

·
Registered
37 Posts
what did you pay?? i was just over 800 out the door.
the gunsite is one of those rifles you have to shoot to understand. the haters say its on old concept the purists are mad cause it does not use stripper clips (the new ruger poly mags are able to be top loaded). none of them have shot it. magazine and internet reviews are great but you are still going by what the author thinks of the gun.
the poly mags can be top fed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why would anyone pay $800 for a gun?? Its because we want too! I sometimes wonder why people pay 4k on 1911 pistols, to each their own. But one last thing, I think its a good bargain mine shoots Sub MOA .875" groups with premium ammo.

I paid $800 out the door as well. I have seen them here in NC anywhere from $775 to $999. I think I got lucky that I found one in LH

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Why would anyone pay $800 for a gun?? Its because we want too!
Its a cost to reward thing.

Why pay $800 for a bolt action rifle, when you can buy a lever action 30-30 and a remington shotgun for the same price?

If you want to spend $800 on a rifle, that is fine with me. I spent $1,200 on my FN/FAL. I wanted an FN/FAL, so I bought one. But that is an FAL.

What makes the Ruger Scout Rifle stand out over other bolt action rifles on the market?

With the FN, I can say its the military experience of the rifle. Over the past 4 decades the FN/FAL has served in conflicts all over the world. It has a reputation of being a quality firearm.

With the Scout rifle,,,, its a bolt action rifle with a magazine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With the Scout rifle,,,, its a bolt action rifle with a magazine.
...a 16'' threaded barrel and great sights to boot. for someone wanting a compact, *light* yet powerful rifle, it seems to be a good choice. It has enough features to be practical, and has the potential for much more, suppression being just one.

·
Registered
345 Posts
...a 16'' threaded barrel and great sights to boot. for someone wanting a compact, *light* yet powerful rifle, it seems to be a good choice. It has enough features to be practical, and has the potential for much more, suppression being just one.
could not have said it better

yes the new poly mags are able to be topped off. i have not tried it as i dont own any. i think the plastic waffle pattern looks like &^%$.

the gun site is a modified ruger m77. no one can knock the quality. i think the gunsite was worth every penny i paid. i also have a new ds arms fal that was a lot more $ almost double. i still like the ruger better. i dont mind spending extra for quality i just got into 1911's and spent the extra to get a sig instead of a ruger or remington or god forbid a ria.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
I would like to have a Ruger Scout rifle in 308 winchester, but the $800 price ticket is a little difficult to swallow.

For me, the rifle would be used for hunting at ranges around 125 yards and less. For that range a Marlin 336 in 30-30 would do the just probably as good as a 308. And a Marlin 336 cost a lot less then the ruger gunsite scout rifle.

If I had $800 laying around and nothing better to buy, I would grab one.

I just think the scout rifle is a little over priced. But I am sure there are people who disagree.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For me, the rifle would be used for hunting at ranges around 125 yards and less. For that range a Marlin 336 in 30-30 would do the just probably as good as a 308. And a Marlin 336 cost a lot less then the ruger gunsite scout rifle.
For that purpose, I would buy a 336 over the GSR as well. However, If I were to buy one, it would be set up as a mid range rifle, (200-600m),with the possibility of also using it as a suppressor platform much later on. YMMV

as to the poly mags, form follows function! they are far more useful than the steel mags

·
Registered
345 Posts
when i lay the gunsite and my fal on the bench it seems that the gunsite seems to get more use from kids and friends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have looked at them, held them and even shot one. I just can't justify the cost. I already have a Ruger 308 Compact that shoots very well. I like short compact rifles and find the Ruger has become my go to rifle. The GSR offers a bit heavier barrel, iron sites, removable magazines and scope mounting options. On the downside it is heavier, the plastic trigger guard bothers me, and the design if the front site seems odd (the center post should be protected and it seems to be at the same height as the two wings).

If I look at how I use a my rifle I don't see any advantage to the GSR. Also the Ruger Compact is about 150 to 200 dollars less.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm about to open the checkbook on one. I've heard nothing but praise and the price being the only sticking point. My buddy can get me one for $729 (+ tax, + DROS). Seems like a good deal to me!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts