Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit off topic, but somewhat related to the tactics one might use when carrying a long arm...

I believe a used medium Alice pack to be the best combination of low cost and practical utility for what is known as the "three day pack"...there are all kinds of fancy, expensive patrol packs out there with a bunch of pockets and a whole lot of "costly" extras, but the simple ALICE, without the frame, is pretty comfortable and can be had for a fraction of the cost.

Interested in your thoughts... I've never taken one into combat, only packing and camping...

·
Registered
3 Posts
the Becker pack, available from several vendors sems to be a great improvement over plain, 'ol ALICE.

granted it will cost a little more, but it should also be more comfortable and more durable, in addition to some updates in fasteners, materials and straps.

no problem with ALICE on a budget, but ther are other options.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How do you wear the alice pack without the frame. The straps are attached to the frame. I do not like the frame digging into your back with the top as a lever arm. This happens if you have 30 plus lbs in it. I like the 3 day pack that is like the special forces pack only lorger. two big zipper pockets and camelbak compatible.
ches

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even though this thread is terribly old I will add my .02 cents into the mix. On the medium alice pack the straps are attached to the pack itself, In most units within the regular army that are issued medium alice packs are REMF support units. Typically any line combat unit are issued the large ruck with frame. I have the Becker Pack (small) and it's ok for 3 day stuff, however I also have the DOAV system by Blackhawk and find that I can get more stuff into the vest than I can the Becker.

'Squatch........ charlie mike:sniper:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I finally got the Becker med and lge. I can get most of my 63 lb winter backpacking stuff into the lge Becker and it is comfortable. I have been doing my 1 hr twice a week packwalking with the lge Becker. It fits well with the LBE under it. I will use the med Becker in warmer weather where the possibility of death from hypothermia is less if you fall and break a leg or twist a knee.
ches

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wish I had known you were looking for one of the Beckers, I still have an extra one (med) I have been trying to sell for much less than what Eagle Industries offers them at, LOL, story of my life...

'Squatch.......charlie mike:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh well here goes
I carriedmy ruck for yrs without frame you put stapes through the padding area...hey they don't call us rocks for nuting
TaskForceViper if you read this and still have the becker I'd be interested
SEMPER FI
:usa:
:rapid: :2guns: :ar15:

THIS WE DEFEND

·
Registered
685 Posts
The new BFM form camelback is awsome. I was 140(elitetacticalsource.com) I could not be more pleased with its load stability and capacity. Although its a bit heavy with the 100oz bladder in there.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:huh: I don't know if anyone is still interested in the frameless alice-but I had the problem with the large alice without a frame.How I solved the problem was by getting a piece of 1/2" thinwall conduit and bending a slight radius in it and fitting to the back of the pack sack where the regular pack frame would be supported.I then attached the straps and belt and it carries 45lbs comfortably all day long. ;) :sniper:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem with the frame digging into your back when loaded can be solved my shifting the pack higher on your shoulders. This also keeps the weight from stressing your lower back.

The way I was always taught was, shoulder the pack with the shoulder straps loose. Bend at the waist forward, so that your chest is parallel with the ground. shift the back as high up on your shoulders you can get it, and pull the shoulder straps tight.

This can take some getting used to, but the long term benefits are very, very worthwhile.
Take care now,
--Medic

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
As long as you don't turn turtle when the weight slides up your back and flips ya. Been there done that. We used to do that to the newbies, see em with their straps loose and waist belt off and then have em bend over on a hill (facing downhill) to pick something up. The pack slammed over their head and pulled them right off their feet.

Right up there with sending them to the motorpool to find squelch juice and beating the bed of a 5 ton wih a 2 pound sledge looking for soft spots LMAO

·
Registered
887 Posts
Originally posted by BigUglyOne@Nov 24 2004, 12:16 PM

Right up there with sending them to the motorpool to find squelch juice and beating the bed of a 5 ton wih a 2 pound sledge looking for soft spots LMAO
:lol: :lol: :lol:

We sent a new 2nd looey from our motor pool into town one day to find a muffler drive belt ! He spent most of the day going from parts house to parts house trying his darndest to find one and apparently all the parts men just kept sending him on encouraging him. :D At least he was out of everyone's hair for awhile. :lol: :D :lol:

Metaldoc :usa:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
We were a mech unit (113 APCs) and one winter we had ours looking everywere for track chains. LOL Boy was he pissed ... that was right after he got us into the one K zone (Soviet border) by accident.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts