Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Research the rotary tumblers to clean brass. They all come with stainless steel media, something I have no experience with. Question here, if you own one or have used one how do they perform and is this media all that it is cracked up to be? Looking to purchase the Hornady version soon, any user reviews would be appreciated.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I switched several years ago & never looked back. That's just me of course since I like to shoot nice shiny brass without having to manually clean out the primer pocket which wet tumbling will do IF you separately decap prior to tumbling.

Thing is that now there are a lots of good choices for those type of tumblers whereas when I bought mine all there was was the Thumler's model.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
A cheap electric cement mixer with a plastic drum works very nicely, and holds LOTS of brass....

Reactions: Jonjeo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the cement mixer idea. Got me thinking in another direction. But how much media would one need to run something like that? A small box is in the $25 range. Thanks

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
Thanks for the cement mixer idea. Got me thinking in another direction. But how much media would one need to run something like that? A small box is in the $25 range. Thanks
Depends on the amount of brass to clean. Figure 1 box for the average tumbler, which will hold x amount of x cases. If you need to clean a lot of brass at once, then use algebra to solve for how much steel pins, or leave in the tumbler longer.
Don't forget distilled water and some sort of soap to keep the dirt/carbon/gunk in suspension.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Thumler's Model B with 5 lbs of SS pins 300 9mm at a time.
They come out looking like new in 2-2.5 hrs.
I use Era detergent, water and lime juice as the cleaning agent.

Reactions: Jonjeo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts