Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone deal with Coakarms? The kit I am looking at is a Romanian AK-47 Parts Kit With New US Barrel Installed---1964 ALL MATCHING NUMBERS
Need advice about building my own AK
Anyone know of a better kit with barrle instaled with front trunion installed
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
You'll need the receiver, some rivets, and the knowledge of how to assemble it. I don't know anything at all about this company (Coakarms), but from the photo, looks like a "Romy G" kit. I traded a guy a rifle for another rifle and one of these kits. I had roughly $200 in the kit after this trade. Took the kit to a type 7 FFL (manufacturer) who built it into what has become the most prized of my AK47's. For this, he charged me $175 + $75 for the receiver. So, I have roughly $450 in a beautiful AK47 that has a very personalized feel and a great "classic AK47" look. The guy does such great work that I haven't been able to speak with him in weeks (we've become friends). He's swamped with work building AK's. I also bought an RPK he'd built.

Here's something else you might want to consider. The Yugo AK47 is one of my personal favorites for accuracy and quality of build. Take a look here:

Centerfire Systems

That company is about 40 minutes from where I live. I have bought both rifles and ammo from them, not to mention accessories. Good company.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a little confused by your post.
If it's just a kit, how can the barrel be installed. The barrel has to go in after the the trunnion is riveted to the the receiver.
An all matching number kit means nothing without the original barrel. The only reason matching kits are more desirable is because 99% of the time the headspace will be correct when you assemble it. That will only happen if you have the original barrel.

If you are looking for AK building info, go here.
Gunco.net - Online Firearm Community

·
Registered
70 Posts
Curtis over at akbuilders had the barrel installed kits for sale. Basically he takes a us made barrel presses into the trunnion and sets the headspace to the bolt. Drills the barrel pin so its like a matching numbers kit. then pulls the pin so you dont mess up the pin when you demill it. You pull the barrel, rivet the rec. to the trunnion, install the barrel and fit the pin. 99% of the time your good to go. but you want to still check the headspace just for cheap insurance.
If it were me, I'd wait til akbuilders gets more of thier kits in. They have a great rep in the AK community and if you have any issues, they are the guys that actually did the work so they could answer your questions. I think he posts over on gunco too. jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts