Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, My mini has a 1 in 10 twist. What bullet weight is best? Heavy or light? Thanks **** Dawg :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 1 in 10 barrel should stabilize bullets up to 55gr with no problem. I think 62's would be pushing it. So you are limited to the lighter bullets with that barrel. However, don't hesitate to try different bullets. My mini seems to like 52gr HPBT, and mine is a 1 in 9 twist. (I have tried most every weight bullet from 40-75gr.) Cajungeo is using 62's, but I'm not sure what his twist rate is. Keep looking for that "magic" bullet combination. I'm still working on bullet/powder combinations, as each rifle seems to like something different. (Any corrections welcome, if I have erred here).

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey **** dawg. Like mike said, try different bullet wts. You should shoot up to 60 grn ok, but your mini will let you know for shure. My 9-1 likes 45 grn, and 63 grn. It didn't like 55 grn, nor the 69 grn.

In theory the 10" to 1 turn is slower than a 9" to 1 turn. So it should shoot lite to medium. 45 to 60 grn with the 55 grn seems to be in the middle. The faster 9" to 1 turn should stabelize heaver 60 to 69grn. as well as the lighter bullets. However as we have seen the mini, and theory sometimes just dosen't figure.

The mini's barrel is so thin the harmonic distortion (barrel whip) is amplified, and more picky, than if it were a stiffer barrel. My muzzle brake helps to dampen the harmonics so my groups are about 50% tighter than without it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
**** Dawg,

Read the Ammo Oracle http://www.ammo-oracle.com/

The 1/10 should stabilise 62 grn unless you shoot in denser air - at extremely low temperatures, well below sea level, etc. So if your SHTF scenario envisions fighting during nuclear winter of deep in the underground caverns/mines - you will be safer with 55grn.

I suggest you buy a box of 62grn, go to the 200 yards range on the coldest day you can and see if the bullets tumble. They probably won't.

V.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts