Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Checkout my post under accurracy for mini.Bedding is using epoxy based compound"kinda like the glue"to get a perfect fit betwwen the stock and barreled action.You put a release agent on the barreled action,put the bedding compound"epoxy glue like stuff"in the barrel channel in the stock.You put them together"and hope to hell that they don't stick together, and you didn't miss any areas with release agent.And let them cure for 12-24 hours.Then you hope that they seperate cleanly"if not you cry,drink a 12 pack,think about what to do next and then call a gunsmith"What you want is a perfect molded impression of the barreled action.What you are trying to do is have a gun that has repeatable accuracy by cutting out barrel/action movement.Sorry for the long answer,but I made it as easy as my old mind could.And as always sorry for my shi--y spelling,I is de-slect-it.Aldo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guido,
Go to the next gunshow in your area and pick up a book by Scott Duff on the M14- M1A type rifle. It has a section in the back on match conditioning procedures for these rifles. While the mini will never be an M1A, the designs are close enough that the principles on bedding are the same. You basically use a dremel to remove some wood from critical action bearing areas within the stock, plug any recesses in the action that the bedding compound can get into, treat all metel with release agent, fill the dremeled out areas with a bedding compound, ( several types are available from Brownell's) and hope for he best. I haven't done this yet but I'm thinking about it.

Has anybody here bedded their action?

Did you realize any improved accuracy?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I've read it locks in the position of the action/barrel, so there is no movement which cuts down on the flyers from groups. I'm gonna try it. Will let ya know in a couple of weeks when I get my stuff.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I glass bed my mini-14 ranch and it turned out pretty good for a first-timer. I made one big mistake, and that was not mounting the front bracket during the cure. After curing, I discovered the stock did not line up perfectly with the front bracket, and I have to force the stock over ever so slightly to get the bracket on. I plan to grind out some of the epoxy and do it over. Even so, I took it to the range and was shooting 4" groups at 100 yds, with iron sights that I don't like. The rear peephole is too big, so it's hard to judge center, for me at least.

In summary, do it! And watch out that you don't make a "wedge" in the epoxy that locks everything in the stock. There's a couple other tips I can pass along, like forget the playdough but don't forget the relaese agent. Since playdough has water in it, you'll get rust everywhere you put it on metal.

Kalifornia Citizen

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gang,
Glass bedding the stock is the very most important thing in accurizing a Mini. Lapping the bore is next, with a good trigger job third.
It's very important to ensure a stress free bedding job. You shouldn't have to bend the barrel to get the gas block back on. I would re-do the bedding.
I put together a video on how I glass bed the Mini-14. It's $15, & 2hrs long. The picture quality is poor, but the content is very good. Some of you have already seen it...so share your thoughts. E-mail me directly for more details.
Talk to ya later,
Mike in Oregon

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Mike is right, the video isn't a Hollywood production, but after watching it, I felt very confident in doing my first bedding job. I've read articles on the basics, but still was a little leary, till I saw it done. Mike does a pretty good job keeping the camera right in there so you can see everything clearly, and explaines every detail. I beded mine this past weekend. Yea I did good, my action fits very snugg in the stock now. Am itchen to try it out this weekend. Will keep you all posted on how much the group improvement is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts