Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone besides me done the following.Took genric 20 round no name mags,took apart,cleaned.Took a dremeal tool and copied profile of upper stock Ruger mag"including hole".ground off all paint.took to range and checked for feeding and adjusted feedlips till good.Then hardened upper part of mag with tourch and kasnete "surface case hardening",replaced followers with original ruger followers and WOLFF aftermarket mag springs?Have done 3 mags this way and inprovement is 1000%.Just an idea if someelse wants to try it.Aldo

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't work that cheap! At this point I have more money for things like magazines than I have time! :)

So far I have not had problems finding aftermarket magazines for my Mini 14. I have done as you did with 1911 mags several times. I used to buy the "GI" magazines for $5 and rework them as you are doing. Back then I couldn't afford the good magazines that cost $10.

Good of you to tell others how you made the cheaper magazines function. Many folks don't realize you can often salvage things like magazines with a little elbow grease and determination.:cool:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I guess thats one of the benefits of be old. I have some good mags that were cheap 12 or so years ago. I like the Kasnete though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are different trade names and spellings of the same stuff.Brownell's does carry it,as do other firms.Its called KASENIT Brownells stock #479-001-100.Aldo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts