Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im new to the Union, nice to meet yall. Ive had a mini 30 for a couple months now and have only put about 150 rounds through it. I have a lot of questions and I have been directed to this site.

1) What ammo do most of yall use? Right now im shooting Yugo. Mil. surplus, and its ok. I had a major problem with Golden Tiger,and the people at my shop told me the mini isnt made to shoot steel casings. But if I insist, to clean it very well.

2) I have taken my scope off because when I go to clean it throws me off zero, so ive decided its going scopeless. I heard that glass bedding will fix it but have no idea what that does and if its worth it. Any suggesstions?

3) Since Ive changed my mind on what ill be using my mini for, I want to buy the folding stock with the pistol grip from Butler Creek. Im not sure at what site I saw this though but under the descriptions it said " Does not fit mini-14/thirty." Anyone have any idea on where I can get the stock im looking for and wont have to look back?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Your Mini will fit fine into the stock, as for the ammo, it's not the steel casing, but the anvil of the casing also steel. Mini 30's have been known to break the fireing pins with the Steel Berdan primed cases, then you have to send your Mini back to Ruger for repairs. I don't have a Mini 30 (I have a Mini 14), but I'm buying Winchester 7.62X39 brass to reload for my AK, in the mean time I'm useing Uly ammo from CTD. The Brass is for when I get a Mini 30 and also to use in my AK. Much of the Mil. Surplus uses corrosive primers, so you need to break out the Windex or Simple Green for a good cleaning then lube everything with a good oil, I now switched to CPL and Gun Butter. And WELCOME

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Much of the Mil. Surplus uses corrosive primers, so you need to break out the Windex or Simple Green for a good cleaning then lube everything with a good oil, I now switched to CPL and Gun Butter.
A good flush with boiling hot water is all you need after shooting corrosive ammo, then clean and lube as normal. Its the water in windex that removes the salts left behind from the corrosive primers.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Your Mini will fit fine into the stock, as for the ammo, it's not the steel casing, but the anvil of the casing also steel. Mini 30's have been known to break the fireing pins with the Steel Berdan primed cases, then you have to send your Mini back to Ruger for repairs. I don't have a Mini 30 (I have a Mini 14), but I'm buying Winchester 7.62X39 brass to reload for my AK, in the mean time I'm useing Uly ammo from CTD. The Brass is for when I get a Mini 30 and also to use in my AK. Much of the Mil. Surplus uses corrosive primers, so you need to break out the Windex or Simple Green for a good cleaning then lube everything with a good oil, I now switched to CPL and Gun Butter. And WELCOME
Why would you reload for an AK?, it dents the brass to the point that its unusable. Thats a good reason in favor of the M30, you can reload for it and reuse the brass several times (Assuming you can find it). Good luck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Why would you reload for an AK?, it dents the brass to the point that its unusable. Thats a good reason in favor of the M30, you can reload for it and reuse the brass several times (Assuming you can find it). Good luck.
All AK's are not created equal, mine does not dent the brass, infact it is in better shape than my Mini 14 brass after shooting. As for the brass it's easy to get, Midway sell's it ( Winchester or Lapua) I just got 1000 casings from them and I already FL sized, trimed and chamfered them and now they are ready to be primed. I already have the .310, 123 gr projectiles ready to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts