Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to remove the front sling loop (shown at the left of the photo below) without cutting it off? If so, how do you go about it?

My 5846 (Tactical ATI) has seven sling studs already . . . .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled mine off with needle nose pliers
Is it re-installable when you remove it that way? (not necessary, just curious)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I bent mine out with needle nose too. I think you could put it back on. The hard part is drilling the hole through the gas block for a QD ring. That stainless steel is serious!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just bend it off and throw it away. Anything that bends off that easy doesn't deserve to be a sling swivel if you plan to wrap a sling for tight prone shooting. A Garand stacking swivel fits on perfectly after drilling out the hole. I spliced a Garand swivel and AR15 rear sling loop to make a very nice and super durable front sling loop. A hassle if you are only mildly irritated by the cheap factory loop. Do a search on "Chilly's Mini-14" if you want to see what I did.

It's sufficient to bear the weight of the rifle, but not much more in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Bent mine off and threw it away because the brass end of the sling I tried to thread through it wouldn't fit. In its place is an Uncle Mike's. Had to drill it out, but it fit fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
no reason to take it off. you can get a sling from Jeff's Outfitters which is canvas with leather buckles that is easy to remove. They also offer all leather at a higher price. I got one and love it. Check it out on their web site. They are located in Cape Girardeau, MO..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup, I just pulled mine off tonight. Drilled it out, ground it down a little and snapped on my Uncle Mikes sling. Worked out perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts