Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading that the CMP Garands and 03s are covered with cosmoline. I was wondering what people are using to remove the cosmoline.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I do a complete strip (of the weapon) and turn the wife loose with cleaning patches and Midway's bore solvent.
Any solvent that will cut grease can do the job, but the amount of "elbow grease" needed will vary.
For cosmolene soaked stocks I use Simple Green in a bathtub of hot water, soaking until the water is only warm, than scrubbing with a small nylon brush (fingernail brush). This really lightens up those black stocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alchohol. Not the stuff you drink ;) Just the denatured type. Cuts right through cosmoline.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been told by old hands use oven cleaner let it set and take it to a Self Service Car Wash use the brush and high pressure soap and a thorough rinse use 000 Steel Wool on the wood to remove little burrs and of course make sure Barrel is clean use a little solvent and oil all metal parts,I was told use Boiled Linseed Oil on the srock after letting it dry for several days.Others have told me Castrol Wheel Degreaser works well by using it the same way.Jim

·
Registered
540 Posts
Been using mineral spirits on the metal parts, but will need to try the alchol to see how it works.
On the wood, there are 2 ways to go:
Just do a surface clean with simple green or pin sol or some mineral spirits just to get the surface grease off
-or-
the whole enchilada - stripping down to bare wood and building up from there. In that case, two words Purple Power! (or any "purple" degreaser available at an out parts store)
If it's really bad, you may stick it in the oven at 150 for about 1/2 hour. Just did that on my 1903 stock after 2 pp cleanings and the cosmo oozed out of the pores. Once it's clean and dry then go over with 0000 steel wool and go with the linseed oil.

The problem with method #1 is that the cosmoline is deep in the wood and the first hot day you take the rifle out it will bleed cosmo out everywhere and be a mess.

(at another C&R forum there are literally thousands of posts on the most effiective way to clean a stock, do you research first, you don't want to destroy that cool stock)
Here's a link to some other methods:
http://www.jouster.com/Bulletin/refinishing.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts