Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted to accurize a garand action by removing the operating rod contact with the barrel and use some sort of guide rails to keep the op-rod on track?

Say a notch on either side of the op-rod with removable rails inserted into the stock to keep it in line?

Would something like this increase the accuracy at all?

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I took some pliers and bent my liner in just a little to guide the op rod, also polished the mating surface of the barrel and op rod for smooth feel.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I can't see how. Doesn't change how the bolt travels and where it locks into battery.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can see friction between the two causing timing problems; however I think it would have to be severe. I polished the the op-rod and underside of the barrel on mine when it was new because of scratching. It eliminated the scratching but I can't tell it helped anything else. Adding guide rails might help smooth the action, but I'm not sure about increasing accuracy. Once the bolt lug is locked in, that's that IMO. However can I see where a loose bolt and mag spring pressure effects accuracy.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

I thought it might help with barrel harmonics, but I guess not since the gas block clamps the barrel in front of the op-rod. Just a random thought.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive thought about doing that too. My idea was to use two rods on either side as the guide and cut off the ears that contact the barrel. Then you might could add some smaller rods like the struts to stiffen the part of the barrel in the stock. It seems like it would almost have to help with the harmonics especially if it would allow us to stiffen up the barrel.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha sounds like you wer thinking exactly what I was!

I dont know if stiffening the barrel behind the gas block would have an effec on accuracy or not. Interesting stuff none-the-less!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just me typing out loud.
I have this idea a big part of the problem is the operating rod slamming into the gas block putting pressure on the barrel in an inconsistant manner. Meaning the pressure is different each time the barrel is in battery putting the front sight off.
Ummmm... Maybe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.