Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't think there is any accuracy advantage but one could argue that it may cool faster. I went out and bought a VTR when they first came out and it proved to be one par with any other M700 I've owned. It would shoot 1.047" groups on occasion.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If I had to buy another center-fire rifle right now it'd be a CZ or Weatherby, but that's just me.

The Remington will serve you well though. I happen to like the X-Mark Pro trigger, it breaks very cleanly but from the factory they are set pretty heavy.

One Remington that is always overlooked IMO is the Model Seven. As far as hunting rifles go it's my favorite lol ....... seriously

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Hey guys, can anyone tell me what the advantage is to having the traingular VTR barrel on a rifle? Thanks.
Suppose to make the barrel stiffer

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't think there is any accuracy advantage but one could argue that it may cool faster. I went out and bought a VTR when they first came out and it proved to be one par with any other M700 I've owned. It would shoot 1.047" groups on occasion.
I had one when they first came out also. I didnt like it and it took lots of work to get it shooting accurately. I would not buy one again but that is my opinion. I am sure there are others who like them just fine.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Get the Savage. Not only is it the most accurite rifle on the market, you get the most for your money.
Remington has also just gone to hammer forged barrels on all their new rifles and the hammer forged barrels do not shoot near as good as their old ones.

John K

·
Registered
216 Posts
Get the Savage. Not only is it the most accurite rifle on the market, you get the most for your money.
Remington has also just gone to hammer forged barrels on all their new rifles and the hammer forged barrels do not shoot near as good as their old ones.

John K
I think the USMC Scout Snipers at Quantico will challenge your declaration.:lol:

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I think the USMC Scout Snipers at Quantico will challenge your declaration.:lol:
That's because it's the only rifle they can get. An accurizied Savage will outshoot the Remington all day long.
If you want to see a Savage that really shoots, for about $200, www.savagegunsmithing.com will accurize your Savage and make it shoot better than you can hold it (at least for 98% of the shooters.)
They square the lugs in the action, square the lugs on the bolt, square the bolt face, square the action front ring , square the barrel locking ring, Re cut the muzzle, put a parrelle ground extra thick recoil lug on (made to their specs, it fits tighter on the barrrel than anything you can buy), set the FP protrusion and bed the action.
Scott has custom made fixtures that he made himself that hold everthing exactly square when machining the rifle.
He will also get you the Savage rifle and scope, mounts and rings of your choice for a very good price (better than you can buy one from any dealer) if you have him do the accuracy job.
He will rebarrel with a premium barrel if you want, put a muzzle brake on that you can't tell where the barrel stops and the brake starts and I think he gives a discount if done at the same time the accurizing job is done.
He will install any number of oversize or custom bolt handles.
He also converts right hand rifles to left hand rifles and has the largest selection of stocks anywhere. From the lightest stock you will ever find to heavy target stocks.
He also chambers in calibers not available from Savage including larger calibers than are available from Savage.
McMillen sends him all their left hand action work and several of the major barrel manufacturers work with him when they have new barrels they want to try.
He is a true master riflesmith and there are few of them left and his prices are very reasonable.
He's one of those guys who truly loves working on firearms. He also does accuracy and repair jobs on any other type of rifle.
Do you have a Marlin lever action that suffers from the dreaded Marlin jam? He has a great fix for that.
Do you have a Benelli semi auto that you want to cycle faster than it already does, talk to Scott.
An expensive shotgun with a cracked receiver, he fixes them too.
I've seen some of the most beautiful double rifles and shotguns you will ever see in his shop for repair, all worth well over 100K.
This guy really is this good. I'm a retired gunsmith and Scott amazes me with the work he does. I was a darn good smith, but this guy blows me away. His IQ is off the charts.
He has more knowledge in his head regarding firearms than any man I've ever met. He's a master welder and machinest. Been gunsmithing since 1985.
Give him a call.
The Scout Snipers would go crazy with joy if they has his rifles.
A very, very good long range shooter just set an unofficial world record at a club shoot with one of Scotts rifles, shooting well under MOA at 3000yards with a Savage 338 Lapua Mag that Scott built. The only reason it's not in the books is that it was a club shoot, not a NRA shoot.
Talk to any of the custom rifle builders that sell their basic custom rifles for $5000 plus. The will only guarentee 1/2" groups, Scott guarentees .3" or better five shot groups or the rifle does not leave his shop until it shoots .3" or under at 100 Yds. Most shoot under and he will sell you the rifle for about $2500.

Best Regards, John K

·
Registered
313 Posts
hi i bought a vtr in 308
the stock is crap just plastic
i bought u kevlar remington stock with aluminium bedding block
i made it fit the action with a dremel and put a bsa mill dot scope on it i test some hand loads
i use 155gn sierra palma match bullits lapua cases and 38.5 gn vv-n140
i shoot when i have my day a 5 shot group in 1.5 cm at 100 meter
and i have shot some series in one inch at 200 meter
is that bad ???
i must say i am a fire arms instructor and i am 2 or 3 times on the range every week

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
No, it's not bad at all. My point is that you can get a Savage rifle to shoot that good or better with less work.
While Remington quality continues to go down hill, Savage just keeps getting better.
Look at their Accu-Stock. It offers increadable accuracy and adds very little price increase to the rifle.
The Accu-Trigger is great. Remington has pinned their trigger assembly so that you can't work on it.
The other great point about the Savage is you can change barrels without having to worry about re chambering and setting back the shoulder. It makes it very easy to do yourself and costs less if you have a gunsmith do it.
You can even change calibers within short-long actions just by changing barrels, bolt heads and mags. How can you loose.

Best Regards, John K

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.