Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one tried out the Rem model 710 in .270? If so what were the results good or bad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can't say for the .270, but my .30-06 I just bought shoots very nicely. I haven't had a chance to shoot more than a few rounds, but intend to very soon. The only negative thing I have heard about them seems to stem from the price. Seems some folks are upset that an inexpensive rifle might actually work. :sniper:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I still don't understand the marketing angle of this rifle.
I just saw a Remington 700 ADL with a synth stock for $360.00 at Sportmart. How much does the 710 run? For that kind of money (inexpensive) I'd go with the 700 everytime. Maybe they plan to drop the low price ADL because they make more money on the 710??:confused:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
The only thing I've heard about the Rem 710 is the barrel is swedged into the action? A barrel change in the future? Don't think so. I would rather have the 700 for a remington, but would rather have a savage. Am thinking about a 10FPLE2 for long range shooting. .5" groups @ 100yds. out of the box with factory ammo, and better with reloads.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I found a M-700 for that price around here, I'd probably go with it too. Around here, though, that same model runs about $390 dollars at Wal-Mart and about $425 at a local gun store. The 710 runs about $360 with scope, mount and rings already boresighted. However, that is still close if you plan on going with another scope than the Bushnell that comes with it. But for the economy minded fellow on a budget, the differance of 30 to 55 dollars will buy a lot of ammo. Also, if you are fond of the caliber it comes in, and I love the old 'ought six, then the barrel changing option is really not that important. As for quality, the Reminton barrels are among the best, so it should last a while. It all comes down to personal preferance. I found mine used for about $260, so I couldn't pass it up. If I have any problems with it, I'll be sure to post them.:sniper:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a Remington 710 in .30-06----------what a mistake. The factory scope was garbage and held it's position like a Washington Politician.

The bolt was rougher than a cobb to cycle to the point where when I sold it, the buyer had trouble getting it to function.

Believe it or not, the trigger was nice.

One would be much better off to get a Savage Package gun or a 700 ADL Syn.

The 710 in a word is cheap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got out today and put the 710 through its paces today. I'll have to say, it shoots very well. I was shooting Remington 150 grain Core-lockt ammo, about the cheapest I could find, and I was getting 1 1/2 inch and better groups. I agree the rifle is made with cost cutting in mind. I would recomend working the bolt a few times to make sure the synthetic insert isnt too tight. I've heard that a few early ones did have this problem. If I have a complaint about this rifle, it is the tightness of the bolt. The insert is molded to very close tolerence. As for the Savage combo package, I've heard several folks here and on other boards mention it, and I don't believe you would be going wrong with this setup, however, I would like to point out that the scope that comes with the Savages is a Bushnell, just like with the Remington, so any scope problems folks may have aren't the falt of the 710.:sniper:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey Holiday, just a suguestion for the tight bolt, you might want to try valve laping compound from auto parts, and work the bolt to smooth out the rough spots, then clean, and oil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cajungeo, thanks for that suggestion! Hadn't thought of that. I was considering trying some type of really fine , say 600 grit , sand paper around a dowel rod, but your idea may be the one to try first. I just happen to have some valve lapping compound I use for smoothing out the crown on barrels, so I believe I'll give it a shot. Again, thanks!:sniper:

·
Registered
25 Posts
You know I always made fun of my dad for buying the cheaper versions of rifles----------------I.E. the Winchester Ranger, etc. but now he has his money invested in land based companies that represent real wealth and thank God his retirement funds are in good shape.

The more I see what is happening on Wall Street, the more attractive those 710's, Savages and Rangers appear to me. Hey if they get the job done then who cares? After all the money I save now will be money I can enjoy, God willing in retirement.

I wish to revise and extend my earlier harsh comments to say that the 710 did have a mighty good trigger.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts