Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know this question is a tad out of the subject arena here but I figure someone in here would probably be more likely to know the answer than an AK or AR guy........Is the Remington 7400 a decent semi auto rifle? I have located a nice one with a good Leupold scope. I would kinda like to have one of those because of the big, 30-06 caliber and affordable FMJ rounds that's available for them. There is also a bunch of 10 rd. mags out there for these rifles. My only concern is I have heard these rifles are like jam city. Are they that bad or reasonable performers? I have owned several Remington 700 bolt guns but never one of their autos. Can someone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

op-rod

·
Registered
689 Posts
op-rod I think the 7400 mod. is a little better than the older 740 and 742 series as far as dependability. If priced right buy it remember any Leupold scope is worth a couple hundred bucks. I think their like most autoloaders just keep the gas system, and chamber area where the bolt locks up clean and use good ammo. I have a Browning BAR in 06 that is dependable and fairly accurate. If I ever find another BAR in 308 cheap I'm gonna buy it. I've always liked the clean lines on the Browning.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! That tells me that I should probably buy this rifle. It has a 3-9X40 scope, is in great condition, has wood stock instead of that cheap looking synthetic and a blued finish instead of matte. It also has an extra factory mag. All for $350. Not a bad price in my opinion. And the BAR is just an awesome looking rifle. I would love to have one of those in 7mm Rem Mag!

op-rod

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have had a Rem. 760BDL 30-06 since 1973.I know its a pump gun,but its in the same family.I have a older Redfield 1.75x5 wideview scope woth post and crosshair reticule.The gun shoots 2" at 100 yard all day long.Has gotten 8 bucks in the UP of Michigian.Very nice accurate rifle.Only problem is its a wee bit heavy when you mount a ,mount and scope on it.Mine goes 9.9 pounds.Aldo

·
Registered
685 Posts
gotta say when we put a 10 rnd mag in the one we shot for the day and let em fly is a blast! the cinder blocks stood no chance from 200-250 yds with ap rounds. the ww2 rounds were in enbloc clips and we had alot of them and the gun never jammed go get it before it's gone a good price @ 350...later

·
Registered
115 Posts
Over a five year period i owned and shot a remington
7400 rifle in 3006 caliber,I had very bad luck with this rifle It Always jammed on me at one time or another the worst JAM
i got was when i was following up on a nice wide racked Buck.
the jams were ALWAYS the same a spent case gets stuck in the chamber. It went back to remington SEVERAL TIMES and returned back to me "FIXED" sure enogh after
a hundred rounds or so it would start the same crap again,
I went so far as to have the CHAMBER POLISHED as so many
Advised me to, and sure enough it started jamming again.
I know ther are tens of thousands of these rifles in the deer woods every year and many owneres never got any jams
but these are mostly people who shoot a box of ammo a year out of thier rifle, I shoot at least 12-15 boxes a year in each of my
big game rifles (not in the 7400 of course).
The 7400 is in my opinion a sloppy gun, Two years ago i did the best thing ever by trading it for a browning BAR it works
ALLWAYS and is SUPER ACCURATE for an auto loading deer rifle
It just has a bit more weight and cost roughly $200.00 more than the 7400 but it works and i love it!
My opinion is GET THE BROWNING!!!!!!
;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I owned a 30-06 7400 for about 2 years and never had a jam. I really enjoyed the rifle but I could not get the group under 3 inched at 100 yards. I traded it for a model 700 for a Wyoming white tail hunt which could require a shot out to 300 yards. Now I wish I would have kept it because I think it would make an excellent pig gun. JMTCW

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a purchased a 7400 a few years ago, it never fired 2 consecutive factory cartriges in the 4 years I owned it.
My uncle's 742 had similar problems. This model is known as an unreliable rifle.
problems;
1 - short firing pin, the firing pin was too short to set off primers that were seated a little deep such as french surplus '06
2- light hammer- inadequate energy to set off " hard" primers similar results to above. - both common to every modern remington.
3- micro size extractor
4- non adjustable gas block, common problem, I like the system on the hakim - modified the 7400 , some improvement.
4- the biggest problem was the reciprocating mass ratio - the gun uses a verry light carrier and bolt assembly, with factory ammo the bolt would try to extract the cartridge before the cartidge let go of the chamber walls. -results in ripped rims and fatal jams. The bolt just tried to go too fast.
Every successful semi auto rifle I've owned had a fairly heavy operating rod/carrier assembly to store up enough energy to cycle the action after the port preasure goes down.
The gun worked fine with 40 grains 4895 , 150 grain bullet, soft primers, 5/8 to 3/4 " groups at 100 yds. hundreds of rounds, NO failures with any magazine.
I didn't know what reliable was until I got a remington model 81, I love that long recoil action.
Don't buy a 7400. unless you like problems. I traded it for an old beat up reliable SKS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts