Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I;m looking at a VERY nice 1993 Remington 700 ADL deluxe.
.30'06, has the sights and bases, no rings or glass.
Wood is very good, deep dark black bluing, 95%
Barrel looks mint, crown is perfect, great trigger

I can get it for $400,....deal or just ok?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Seems a little high to me but I bought mine way back in 85'. Look on : www.gunbroker.com and search under rifles, bolt-action Rem 700. There will be a ton of them. You can specify .30-06 to narrow the search. You can also specify other search criteria with an advanced search but either way you should get a good idea about (1) what a new one is going for and (2) what a good used one is going for. You have to sign up to look and it's free anyway. My 2 cents worth !
Bull

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a new Remington not too long ago, it is a piece of junk, I would not recommend any Remington built after 1965. The Savage with their Accutrigger and Accustock is a far better rifle than anything Remington is selling now.

If you want a Remington, buy an older receiver with a bolt, take it to a gun smith and have an after market barrel fitted. You will have a quality weapon with none of the headaches a new Remington will give you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I bought a new Remington not too long ago, it is a piece of junk, I would not recommend any Remington built after 1965. The Savage with their Accutrigger and Accustock is a far better rifle than anything Remington is selling now.

If you want a Remington, buy an older receiver with a bolt, take it to a gun smith and have an after market barrel fitted. You will have a quality weapon with none of the headaches a new Remington will give you.
It's all junk after '65 ? BS

Here's a thread full of brand new Remington "junk" - including mine:

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24395&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did not see one out of the box hunting rifles, I suggested using the 700 receiver as a starting platform. Everyone of those rifles have been reworked. I stand by my statement, Remington is not a quality rifle, they have become junk. The average Remington cannot compete with the older ones or a current Savage out of the box.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I did not see one out of the box hunting rifles, I suggested using the 700 receiver as a starting platform. Everyone of those rifles have been reworked. I stand by my statement, Remington is not a quality rifle, they have become junk. The average Remington cannot compete with the older ones or a current Savage out of the box.
If you're talking about rifles like the 770, you're probably right. As for the 700, I've heard no complaints on the new or older made rifles. Not sure about their "other than model 700" offerings though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
just sighted in a brand new 700 CDL in 7mm08 1st group at 100yds went into just over 1/2 inch with 140gr nosler BT's. I guess if it wasn't a POS it would have done better.;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Uh, wrong again. The vast majority of the SPS actions in the thread are factory - no re-barrel - no set back - no blue printing - there are a few custom actions.

The point is, the Remington 700 remains the most popular rifle because they are supported by aftermarket accessories, easily customized, and, not to mention, these "junk" rifles are sourced by our armed forces.

Savage makes a fine rifle. No one is saying that Savages won't shoot.

I just disagree with the "blanket" statement using the term "junk". That is BS IMHO. Furthermore, you admitted buying a new Remington, then saying all remington products are junk? Why did you buy a "new" Remington?

Winchester (gone), Colt, Smith & Wesson, and many others are not what they were 50 years ago, and neither is Savage. That doesn't make them junk. These companies are trying to survive, they use plastics, they don't hand finish, etc.

I watched a brand new VTR come right out of the box on Sunday and shoot .75 MOA -

I respect anyone's choice or preference to choose whatever product they feel suits them. If it's Savage or Howa or Tikka or Mossberg. It is simply unfair and incorrect to call out on the net and label Remington 700's as junk.

My rifle is a stock action, and it "ain't no junk" buster:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well,.....I bought the, as saomeone said, "piece of junk"

Pics and a target when I get a chance.

My experience with Savage leads me to believe they are a POS.
So,..........this is why I asked about Remington.

Thanks to all that provided some POSITIVE feedback and opinions. :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think any employee at any type of factory can have an off day. Something slips through and gets out to the buying public and the internet bashing starts. The truth is we can buy an off the shelf rifle that is more accurate and reliable than our dads and grandfathers could. Plastics are saving weight and money usually hold up pretty well. That being said, on my Vanguard the only plastic is, well there isn't any. It shoots better than any rifle I have owned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think any employee at any type of factory can have an off day. Something slips through and gets out to the buying public and the internet bashing starts. The truth is we can buy an off the shelf rifle that is more accurate and reliable than our dads and grandfathers could. Plastics are saving weight and money usually hold up pretty well. That being said, on my Vanguard the only plastic is, well there isn't any. It shoots better than any rifle I have owned.
Some employee had a really bad day with mine, I am now saddled with a $600.00 rifle that will make a fine club. I took it to a local gunsmith and he remommends an after market barrel and stock. I will probably not use the 673 action for another rifle. I have seen some other Remingtons that apparently slipped through, mine is not the only one I have come across. I am not sure which direction I will take but a new Remington is out of the question. I was not aware that I am the only one to have an inferior Remington, needless to say I am encouraged that everyone else that buys a Remington received a premier weapon for the money they spent. Appreciate the input gentlemen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This thread is old but I just had to say pbrktrt said it well and there are lemons in ANYTHING that is manufactured.

I have bought guns, new and used, for about 40 years. I have bought stuff from the 50's that was lemon and new stuff that will out shoot the old stuff. And just the oppisite is true. There are some QC issues from time to time with any manufacturer of firearms these days too. The internet makes them heard more readily. That is the difference.

I see that you bought the 700 hk_shootr. You promised pics. Lets see them.
I own 2 mid 70's 700 ADL 30-06's. They are the pressed checkered stock, they are ugly, but they shoot factory ammo so well, 1" at 100 yds, that I see not need to change the stocks out. I reload too and have great results.

OK, I earned those pics.................lets see it.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're talking about rifles like the 770, you're probably right. As for the 700, I've heard no complaints on the new or older made rifles. Not sure about their "other than model 700" offerings though.
Oh contraire... There have been more people killed by the Remington 700 than any other production sporter rifle. Remington has paid out millions upon millions to pay off lawsuits and keep people shut up. It has had problems since it was first built. The fella who designed the rifle begged Remington to NOT build the rifle. Remington turned down a $0.05 fix decades ago as too expensive. Watch the videos put out by the army, boarder patrol and the marine elite snipers school. They have documented the failings of the Remington rifle. Of the 3 million sold it is estimated that 50,000 of them are potential accidents waiting to happen. Which is yours? I bought a Marlin XL7 and thank God every day that I sold my Remington 700 stainless mountain rifle (.270) and my Remington BDL in .35 Whelen years ago. Don't miss them one bit. Incredibaly average rifles at best. I thought at the time that the Savage rifles were a much better value. I love my Marlins. Makes me sick knowing Remington now owns them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh contraire... There have been more people killed by the Remington 700 than any other production sporter rifle. Remington has paid out millions upon millions to pay off lawsuits and keep people shut up. It has had problems since it was first built. The fella who designed the rifle begged Remington to NOT build the rifle. Remington turned down a $0.05 fix decades ago as too expensive. Watch the videos put out by the army, boarder patrol and the marine elite snipers school. They have documented the failings of the Remington rifle. Of the 3 million sold it is estimated that 50,000 of them are potential accidents waiting to happen. Which is yours? I bought a Marlin XL7 and thank God every day that I sold my Remington 700 stainless mountain rifle (.270) and my Remington BDL in .35 Whelen years ago. Don't miss them one bit. Incredibaly average rifles at best. I thought at the time that the Savage rifles were a much better value. I love my Marlins. Makes me sick knowing Remington now owns them.
you fell off a turnip truck dude! You've been watching CNBC B.S.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Admittedly, I haven't fired or worked on any newer 700's, but mine (early 60's mfr) has been pretty good to me and the previous owner. I've worked with veterans who had experience with them in Vietnam and heard praises from them as well.

I've never heard of any problems such as those mentioned in the above posts and will have to take them with a grain of salt. It's possible that info originated with somebody who had a grudge against the maker. I can't think of a reason they'd make such claims and we haven't heard about them from other 700 owners or gun sellers. That kind of report always spreads like fire.

They still sell for premium prices in the marketplace too.

(Found these sites today that might clear-up thiings:

http://remington700.tv/pdf/remington10-29-10.pdf[/url] (which is Remington's answer to CNBC's claims)

And

www.gunblast.com/remington-trigger.htm

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 700 in 30.06 from the 60's and know several people who own one who have never had a accidental discharge they claim happens. I'll never be getting rid of my 700.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Between my father and I we have 4 - Model 700's.. A pair of 30.06's, a 7mm and a .22-250. They have all been flawless guns and are far from "junk."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have a 700 adl synthetic .30-06 that I bought new about 10 years ago. Action doesn't feel very slick, but its a shooter; never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Oh contraire... There have been more people killed by the Remington 700 than any other production sporter rifle......
There should be a crap load of people in jail on man-slaughter charges.
If a muzzle is not pointed toward a person, they do not get shot!

I've owned many Remingtons,.......never an issue with any of them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remingtons are great guns. If the media can get Remington in the cross hairs then Ruger will be next and for the most part domestic firearms production will be a thing of the past.

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.