Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine owns a mini-14 and is a reloader. So am I. He recently bought some remanufactured ammo from sportsmans guide. He didn't remember the brand but it wasn't Black Hills ammo. He shot one of the rounds and it blew the case head off, and had a heck of a time getting the blown case out (no stuck case remover). Didn't hurt him or the mini. He didn't shoot any more of them. He gave them to me as he didn't have a way to pull the bullets. I pulled them and weighed them 69gr. Weighed the powder 24gr and gave the powder a bullets back to him. I kept the cases. I am reloading the cases now they seem to be ok with the exception that they are ..010 to .015 over the maximum trim length of 1.760. I trimmed them back to minimum of 1.750 and they should be allright. I believe with the cases that much too long that they wouldn't let the case expand in the neck because they may have been jammed in the chamber and wouldn't release the bullet without making excessive pressure . Just a friendly warning about remanufactured ammo. Be careful!

·
Registered
567 Posts
King---What you say is right on. If the cases are long enough to be shoved up into the lead end of the chamber gross pressures can be developed. You have to have faith in whoever is reloading your ammo, because if that weapon blows up you're the one who's going to eat it, literally! I do some reloading & I do it as if my life depends on it, because it does. This brings me to another point. NEVER that's NEVER go shooting without good no wait a minute that's GOOD eye protection. I'll jump off of my soap box before I really get going here.

SAFE shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with us king. Am glad your friend wasn't hurt. I'm working up a load for my mini, one can't be too careful. Having worked in aircraft for several years I have seen a few eye injuries, because somebody didn't wear eye protection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.