Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,

I've always admired the 700, even in the basic ADL version. I can't seem to find the value for one purchased by the original owner in 1965. My Fjestad's book (2005) shows 90% at less than 2 bills. That seems way low to me, because you never see 700's of any version in the used shops for less than 3. Also, the date code info available online doesn't provide a year for the letters stamped on the barrel (D O S). It has a trigger that's pure sex and it's a nice rifle overall, even with a little blueing wear in the usual places.

Anybody have input they'd like to share?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My Fjestad's book (2005) shows 90% at less than 2 bills. That seems way low to me, because you never see 700's of any version in the used shops for less than 3.
A Remington 700 has been on my wish list for years.

I agree, $200 seems way low for a 700 at 90%.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The older M700's are top shelf,Buy it, if the barrel is shot out you'll have a super action to rebarrel. I have an older M700 (see pics in new members thread). It's a 7mm mag its still shoots 1/2 moa after 35 years. All I have done is adjust the trigger and bed and float. I keep waiting for the barrel to get shot out, because 7mags are tough on them, but it just keep right on like it did the day I bought it.:)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one has a 4 to 12 power Bushnell/Banner scope mounted (not all that much to consider) and is in .30-06 with what looks like a really nice bore and chamber. I went ahead and gave him the 3 bills he asked for it. I'm hoping to take it out to the sticks next weekend and see how it shoots.

If it were a 7 Mag I might have bought it to resell only, because I think this caliber will be on the high end of recoil for me.

Thanks loads for the input gentlemen! :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've not been able to tell much difference between the 7mag and 06 as far as recoil goes, Anyway hope it shoots good. You didnt say if it still had the original stock. If it does, One thing you can do is cut a couple of strips of old credit card and put them between the action and the stock next to the action screws and remout it. This will let you know if it responds to a barrel float job, some rems do and some prefer the preasure point in the forearm. I hope its a tack driver for you. A good 06 is a do all rfle for sure. good luck

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've not been able to tell much difference between the 7mag and 06 as far as recoil goes, Anyway hope it shoots good. You didnt say if it still had the original stock. If it does, One thing you can do is cut a couple of strips of old credit card and put them between the action and the stock next to the action screws and remout it. This will let you know if it responds to a barrel float job, some rems do and some prefer the preasure point in the forearm. I hope its a tack driver for you. A good 06 is a do all rfle for sure. good luck
I've shot an '06 or two in sporter versions that kicked like a mule, but it's been a while. The ones I now have are both milsurp, except this latest one. Every 7 Mag has bucked me too, but I always thought it was worse..........could be all in my mind though. It does indeed have the original walnut stock. I noticed that "pressure point" in the forearm and thought it could cause a problem that might be fixed with a float job. I'll have to check into it this weekend and see before trying anything. The credit card thing sounds like a nifty idea.

Thanks for the info and good wishes too.:)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyway hope it shoots good.........I hope its a tack driver for you. A good 06 is a do all rfle for sure. good luck
Well, I took it out in the sticks Saturday and ran 50 rounds of my reloads through it. I'm very happy with the function and accuracy, even with those FMJ milsurp bullets and brass. Many commercial rifles seem to have trouble taking milsurp or other rounds into their chambers that are not commerially produced. I'm told that they have tighter tolerances in that area than military rifles might, because of their intended use (many military rifles were built to allow for the possibility of dust and dirt entering the feed cycle and have looser chamber dims).

I had also replaced the 4-12 scope with a 4X and had to do some adjusting after changing the mounts somewhat (still in process). There might be the possibility of a range visit next Saturday where I can work at it with a better platform for stability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.