Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty experienced at reloading. Wanted to ask any pointers on reloading the 204 Ruger. Have gotten the dies yet. Been saving my brass all of which is Hornady. I have a CZ527 Varmint in 204. It has a 1:12 twist. Have only shot factory ammo so far. Want to use the Rifle for F-Class. Was thinking of 32 grain bullets behind some IMR4895 or AA2230 powders. Any advice on which dies, bullets or even brass to use? Thanks.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked up a box of Hornady 40 Grain bullets yesterday. It was raining hard yesterday so I resized all my brass using my dad's press and dies. I loaded up 10 for testing using AA2460. I have some IMR4895 to try as well. I used it because my powder measure was already loaded with them. The load is rated for 3600 FPS or so. I will try them out later this week.

· Registered
835 Posts
The only problem I have with reloading the 204 is case mouth width, and stick powders... AND the fact that my powder nipple on my powder measure is kinda old and worn out, so the mouth fits up in, not flush... so sometimes I get spillage if I dont use another funnel under the measure... just an inconvenience. I have always used varget and 8208XBR and have had excellent results... YMMV, etc... :)

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. Loaded some with AA2460. I also have AA2230. No Varget left. Working on a trade for some. Heard that it was the best. I also have IMR4064 and IMR4895. What weight bullets does your rifle like? I have a CZ527 Varmint.

· Registered
835 Posts
i have a Savage model 12 internal magazine. Heavy stainless fluted barrel. its like a VLPDBM just without the DBM! LOL It was the model they made before they did the DBM, I believe... as it is identical to my 243 VLPDBM . again, just without the DBM. ( detachable box magazine )

It loves the 32 grain amax bullets. with a compressed load of varget under it. forget the exact weight at the moment. It will print 5 rounds under a dime at 100 all day long.

I have tried some of the heavier stuff... it starts to get squirrely over 40 grains...

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. My dad has a Ruger and my brother a Rem 700. My dad has been experimenting with Varget and H335. The information is all good. Love those Savage Rifles. I got the 40 grains because they were the only ones available. I will obtain a variety of bullets to give them a try.

· Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the input. My dad has a Ruger and my brother a Rem 700. My dad has been experimenting with Varget and H335. The information is all good. Love those Savage Rifles
I also have a Savage Model 12 VLPDBM and dh you'll ajust the trigger and bet your family for steak dinners or the like and win every time....

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had to wait a bit before I could load some more. I got my own dies so I wouldn't have to share. I also purchased a bunch of .204 brass and some more 40 grain V-Max bullets. Now I am in better shape.

I loaded up 5 test rounds each using AA2460, IMR4064, H335, IMR4895 and AA2230. I already tried some AA2460 that grouped a little bigger than I have expected. So I loaded some lower and they did better. Trying it again. I plan on testing tomorrow after work.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tested the loads last night at 100 yards. Didn't have the CRONY setup. Loading data suggests they are about 3500 FPS, but we will have to see. All loads were about the same group sizes of about one inch. I am going to play a bit with each powder to narrow things down a little. I did learn that AA2460 works better at the mid range load than closer to the maximum. I don't have any Varget or it would have been tested.

The wind was near zero, but it was also very humid.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tested another 10 loads tonight. About 90 degrees and high humidity. Very little wind. Tried IMR4895 (cause I have a lot of it) from the low 26.0 to the high 27.8 in .2 increments. Letting the rifle (CZ527) cool between groupings. All at 100 yards. Also tried IMR4064 at 27.5 grains. The best group was at 27.0 grains with the Hornady A-Max bullet. Under a dime at 100 yards from a supported position. IMR4064 a close second at under a quarter. Was trying a load from a news group with the A-Max and a CZ527. It did well but the IMR4895 was better. Not that I couldn't try some loads with IMR4064 in increments, but with a lot of 4895 in stock why bother.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.