Perfect Union banner
5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  AABEAR 
#1 ·
i would like some advice on which reloader to buy? i will be doing .223 .45acp and 38/.357.i don't have a lot of $$$$ maybe $300-$500 for all the equipment needed .not including bullets, powder,primers and brass, just the equipment needed and dies. any advice on whats needed and quality of different brands would be appreciated. total newbie here thanks

#3 ·
I'll second the Lee Anniversary kit for a starter but I would probably pick up a better set of scales than the Lee set. They just seem very hard to set accurately to me. I would stay with a balance type scale but something like RCBS that is much easier to set. So with the Lee anniversary set, all the dies and a better scale you should still be under $200 or damn close to it.

#4 ·
The Lee Anniversary Kit is a good choice, for a couple of more $ you can also get the 4 hole kit, as said before I would get a better scale, I have the RCBS 505 which works great. I recomend also the Lee carbite dies, the 223 dies are not available in carbite. Also get a good reloading manual here again I use the Lee Modern Reloading Second Edition it has compiled most of the data out there and does not limit itself to one or two brands.Myself have 4 Lee Progressive 1000 presses with those I can reload my 223, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 38 SPC and 357 Mag and my 7.62X39. The 9mm carrier is also used for the 40 S&W, all I have to do is change the turret head. Also a Challanger breech lock for my 308's

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=622290

#5 ·
thanks guys, amrhein im going to go with the 4 hole turret as per your link,get carbide dies for 38/357,45acp and .223 and .243 lee dies.already ordered the lee 2nd addition reloading book. what about casting your own bullets??? is that cost effective also?

#6 ·
GIVE US AN UPDATE, What you got what you've done?? Happy with what you have??? I've got a Dillon RL550B and am very happy with everything but the cost. I'll bet I've got at least 1500 dollars tide up in this reloading of 380, 9mm, and 40 s&w. Still glad I chose Dillon and went with what I thought to be the best, but it will be a while before I see my money back. Love the hobby and I'm shooting with more accuracy too!

#9 ·
The Dillon 550 is a great press, but as you said it does cost a bit. I bought 3 Lee 1000's which came with die's for the price of one 550, but I am looking into buying one soon for my rifle rounds, and dedicating the Lee's for pistol rounds only. My reloading bench has T-nuts underneath so swapping presses takes only a couple of minutes and clears the top when I'm not useing the presses. The Lee press can reload the 223 and 7.62X30 without any problems, but I will be picking-up some heavier rounds soon (30-06, and 8mm Mauser) besides my 308 that I already have, I'm also eyeing a M1A or a SOCOM as well.

#8 ·
Good choice, the beechlock works great, right now I use it to reload my 308's, I also use the factory crimp die on all rounds I reload and never had any problems with feeding or the rounds droping into the cylinder for my revolvers.

#10 ·
picked up some lee 45acp carbide 4pc die set and a cabelas brass tumbler kit today.slowly geting a complete set up a little here and there for the next few months.what kind of dies should i get to load 223 for my mini 14? i see lee set. deluxe lee set and a lee collet set? any help on this one

#11 ·
I would go with the Lee Deluxe set, but I also have a colett die (bought seperate single die), if you shoot just one 223 cal gun (which I don't) a collet die will do, but if you pick up brass at the range (like I do) full sizing is better. Your caseings will form to your chamber when you fire them, and with one gun all you realy need to do is use the collet die to resize them. Hopes it helps.

#13 ·
All I use is Unique powder, 38 Spl, 357, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 12 ga, withgreat result. It's all I've ever used and will continue to do so, some folks will say it's a little dirty which is true for the old formula, but they have cleaned it up a bit and I don't mind cleaning my weapons, which you should do anyway after you shoot if you wanna be able to count on it when you need it.

#17 ·
Powder differences???

Unique/Alliant HAS DIFFERENT POWDERS!!! Make sure you are buying the same one everytime. I personally use "Bullseye" from Alliant for my pistol rounds of 40sw, 9mm, and 380. Bullseye is fast burning and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for handgunner rounds. JUST make sure you DO NOT mix any. Leave the bottle on the bench until you're finished loading, also, put a business card size paper/cardboard RIGHT IN the top of your powder marked with just the powder you are using. "IF IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT". I suran wrap everything I want to remain dry or without any mosture even if it isn't calling for ran. I also save those mosture things you get in medicine bottles to absorb mosture. If you put them on top of the cooking stove while cooking they will REdry for continuise use. Good luck!

#20 ·
My first press was a lyman 4 stage turret press I bought used. I dont think lyman even makes them anymore. I bought that press sometime around 1988 or 1989, along with some other stuff from a guy I used to work with.

My next press was an RCBS rockchucker, and finally a piggyback.

Single stage presses are the best ones to learn on, and then move to a progressive press.

OP I think you made the right choice by going with a Lee. Lee is a good quality product for the money. Its no RCBS, but Lee is not junk either.

A buddy of mine bought a lee progressive press setup in 9mm. The powder hopper was a little small, but it otherwise did a good job.

At one time my buddy and I had our presses setup side-by-side, his lee and my piggyback. The only major difference was, my buddy had to fill up his powder hopper more often then I did.

As for Unique, that is what I used in just about all of my pistol calibers.

My favorite 9mm load was 6 grains of Unique, and 115 grain round nose bullet.

#21 ·
red dot is best suited for cast slugs in pistol. bulky but does'nt really meter all that well. it's easy to spot a double charge since I use a dipper for my tandem single-stage set-up and Lee pwder thru-expander dies. cheap and clean too. not well suited for 'hot' or performance' loads since it pressure spikes. just moderate 'practice' loads.

#22 ·
I'll stick with my Dillon Square Deal for reloading pistol rounds. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the Dillon 550 so I could do rifle also but It's not worth reloading the rifle caliber I like. Dillon has been taking care of me just fine for the last 20yr and about 4 moves where I broke my press in the move. They replaced every part that I broke for free & no shipping costs & no questions. I get a catalog every month with all their new deals as well as bullet stuff type vendors. Whenever I have a question about reloading I just pick up the phone and dial their 800 number. I use winchester 231 powder for .38, .45, 9mm. Good luck with whatever you use. Remember to be safe & don't mix and match. I know of a guy that killed himself because he didn't crimp his .44 mag and didn't ask questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.