Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

I am new to this board and I have a question for those in the know. I recently purchased a Mini-14 and I am interested in reloading for it. So here goes:

1. What dies would you recommend? (I have an RCBS Rock Chucker press, but have been considering the Lee Deluxe 3 Die set)

2. What weight bullet is most accurate in this rifle? (I will be using this rifle mostly for punching paper and plinking)

3. Is a bullet with a cannelure necessary? (If so, why?)

4. What is the difference between the Standard and Ranch models?

Thank you for your Help!

Swagger

·
Registered
24 Posts
With the Mini-14 the difference is that the Ranch Rifle has mounting spots for scope rings and ejects ammo out the side instead of the top.

As for your other questions I have no answers since I don't reload, sorry.

Stu

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would guess that the 62 grain is more accurate in the rifling of the mini 14 though I just got mine recently and have not used reloads in it much. I have reloaded the 55 grain FMJ a lot in AR15, and the 52 grain sierra Bench rest in rem 700 varmint. I am trying to switch to varget powder instead of 748 because I hear how clean varget is so I will be trying that. I use CCI small rifle primers and rem brass with a taper crimp.
Dies: RCBS, Lee, Hornady all good. I have been getting Hornady dies lately because of the bullet guiding feature on their seating die.
ches

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Ches,

Thanks for your reply. I am new to reloading...Can you please tell me how bullet weight coresponds to rifle twist. For example, why would the 62 gr. bullet you recommend be a better choice in a 1 in 9 twist than a 55 gr. ? Please keep in mind that I am not challenging your opinion...I just have no background knowledge in terms of how this works....

Thank you in advance for any light you (or any other knowledgeable reader) can shed on this for me....

Swagger

:rapid:

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Actually, many people have found that 50gr flat base bullets work best all around in most 1-9 Mini's. That being said, you'll just have to start trying and find out what YOUR gun likes. Due to the tolerances (loose) in the Mini-14, and the thin barrels, each rifle is likely to work better with a slightly different load.

To me it never made any sense to reload for the Mini, but rather for other rifles that are more accurate to begin with, such as my AR-15. Still, if you like doing it, the Mini-14 could use a lot of tuning, and reloading for it is one way to help your accuracy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is my understanding historically that M16's orignially had 1 in 12 inch twists to stabilize the 55 grain .223 bullet. When the military wanted to switch to the 62-63 grain projectile. It was heavier and needed a faster twist to stabilize the spin on it (more mass in the bullet). So the 62-63 grain bullets shot all over the paper with the new SS109 bullet. Ergo they changed the twist to 1 in 7 ( I think that is right) and everything worked ok for them to kill people and destroy things----good accuracy. So, the commercial people started compromising between a 1 in 12 and a 1 in 7 by making barrels in 1 in 9 inch twist. (I think all this is basically correct although I am telling you f rom memory. It is basically correct but may have some figures off.

The 1 in 9 should stabilize the 62-63 grain bullets and the 55 grain bullets equally well. I just figure that the shape of the longer bullet would give you a little accuracy edge. Example .308 military uses 147 grain in their M14 in the past. The snipers and target shooters in the military use a 173 grain bullet for the better accuracy. Commercial, non-military shooters of the .308 use a 168 grain hollowpoint boattail bullet.

That is why I figured on the heavier bullet giving you a little accuracy edge. Besides, you are only going to go so far with a mini 14 on accuracy. I am getting 6 inch size groups at 100 yards with mine with the M855 65 grain FMJ ball military ammo. No doubt I can get better with my handloads but have not had a chance to try much yet.
God Bless,
ches
Keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First, you have to determine your twist rate. As the Mini has been manufactured, it's twist rates have changed over the years. Second, you have to determine what you will use the load in question for. Best bet would be to check a good reloading handbook like Hornady or Speer. Everyone's Mini has a different appetite. Mine likes 52 grain Moly Match Kings best. And consider any accurizing to take up the slop inherent in the Mini. Check the e-mail at [email protected] Lot's of reloading info there...................Fighterjock:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you for the info provided. I plan to begin experimenting with loads to see what works in my Mini14.

Just an afterthought....What can I do to accurize the little bugger?
Any specific after market barrels, etc worth investing in?

Thanks again....

Swagger

·
Registered
145 Posts
The best tuning I ever done was sent both mine to ARS of odessa Tx. now I buy cheap reloads and shoot sub-inch groups. you can find them at www.mini-14.net

:rapid:
RR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts