Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok , just getting started here. first question, After tumbling and resizing my cases I tried to put some in the chamber and they are tight and sticking, what is wrong?Thanks for any Ideas.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
ok , just getting started here. first question, After tumbling and resizing my cases I tried to put some in the chamber and they are tight and sticking, what is wrong?Thanks for any Ideas.
Had a similar problem with 308s-be sure that you are "full length resizing"not neck sizing-make sure that your resizing die seats at the bottom of the presses ram with enough pressure to set the shoulder back on the case.Try to put together 5 cases,resized,without primer or powder,but with bullet seated at correct depth.Cycle them thru the action to see if they will load and eject manually.If oK-then go ahead and load the rest of them with powder and primers,etc.Those 5 that you set aside can either be your"proof rounds", or you can pull the bullets and load them with the others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tonight I sized twenty more cases with my press and my die I found liquid lanolin oil at masonville general store and mixed up a new batch of lube. 2 oz oil 12 oz 91 percent iso. ,It went smoothly and Then I trimmed and burred all to 2.487 to 2.490. all fit my gun chamber just fine. Then I wiped them all off , cleaned the primer pockets and checked them over. Then loaded up my auto primer tool and primed them with CCI 200 primers , I am going to load with 46 grains of Imr 4895 and 180 grain speer grand slam with crimp groove. I think I will load up only three at first to try and go from there. The problem with tight cases in my chamber appears to have been over length cases as they were over 2.494.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I scored at a local shop today! Hornady A-Max .224 52 gr 100 count, Nosler .308 spitzer 150 gr 50 count ,one pound of H4895. A case burr tool and a pocket cleaner rcbs funnel set and a .222 case holder.. I gotta study up on loads for this powder. I have finished 12 rounds for 06 3 each @ 46gr 46.3 46.6 46.9 grains imr4895 180 grain grand slam bullets
. Now I am going to shoot them for best groups.

·
7,825 Posts
;)Be careful to watch the primers on the 180 gr 30-06 loads for signs of high pressure as 4895 is a faster burning powder in the 06 and not really a good match for heavier bullets.It will shoot them yes-but stay away from max loads,and don't go under starting load data either or you could get what is called "flashover"!:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks, thats exactly and the kind of advice I need , 46 gr is the bottom load and 48 is max so I hope I am all good as all mine are above the min and well below max, Thanks a Ton . Ric

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok , tonight I shot my o6 at 100 yards and am having trouble getting it to settle down. Ran out of adjustment to the right on my scope! At 25 Yards its about an inch left, but at 100 yards better than 5 inches left and no more adjustment. Help!

·
7,825 Posts
:blink:What kind of mounts,rings,scope,is your barrel free floated?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the kind with a clamp and screw on all four corners, That is going bye bye this Sat, Thanks for asking, I got a friend thats going to help me get it set up . Will post my results! Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.