Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I reload and purchased 22 Cal .227 70gr SP with cannelure by mistake. I did not notice that they were not .224 cal.
Can I use these to reload and shoot from my .223 Ruger Mini 14.?
Thanks, Rod.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi: I reload and purchased 22 Cal .227 70gr SP with cannelure by mistake. I did not notice that they were not .224 cal.
Thanks, Rod.
Those are just a TAD to big. ;) The pressure curve would be very steep.

Where did you come up with some that are .227?

Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's been a longtime since I saw any of those on the shelf. The HP was an interesting cartridge. My MIL raves about her Dad killing deer every year up in Utah with one. I look at my 6X45's that I shoot and they are very close in overall numbers and performance.

Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
Because I fired them out of my rifles,afterwards when shooting my standard load I had really bad groups. I checked the bore in both rifles and there were large amounts of copper built up,after alot of cleaning with copper and lead solvent everything was back in order. This will never happen again.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
.227 dia bullets are for the 22 savage high power. they would likely crush or buldge your .223 case necks during seating anyway. I wouldn't use them! id send them back or find a reloading dealer in your area and see if he would swap with ya.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I loaded them the brass shaved just a hair of copper from the jacket,but I thought it was because I had turned down the expander ball by .003 to increase neck tension. It is a simple mistake to happen but simple mistakes are the ones that could cost ya in the end.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks, Rod.
I know I'm late responding, but if you still have the .227 you can purchase resizing dies. May not be cost effective, depends on how many you have.

I also saw a chapter in "The ABCs of Reloading" 9th edition that tells how to make your own resizing die. He resized jacketed bullets by .002.

Hope it helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts