Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few grainy pictures...better ones on the way (always make sure you know what speed your film is). I'll start with some pictures of the FP-1187 TK rear sight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looks nice, who did the barrel? How does that FP mount? I always assumed it would dovetail into the existing slot but it doesn't look like it from that picture.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Reloader you been holden out on us? Where did you get that stock? Is that a Sheilen match barrel? I'm like fastang, I thought the williams sight fit into the dovetail. Yours seems to be screwed in from the side of the receiver. How does she shoot? Very nice mini. It looks deluxe like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep in mind fellas, I have a good friend who has his own machine shop and is a gun crank himself (he just finished a handmade copy of a Rigby Creedmoore rifle and has a 4 bore blank on the way to build himself a 4 bore cartridge double rifle.) The barrel is a Montana Rifleman stainless blank turned, chambered and fitted by my buddy. He fabricated the gas block, modified the gas system, and made the front sight clamp. The barrel is .850" from the chamber to the muzzle and is 24" overall, 1 turn in 8". The FP is a drill and tap proposition. The stock is my own design and began life in my shop as a slab of air cured Black Walnut from right here in the Ozarks. I'm pretty pleased with the way the stock came out. It's amazing what you can do with a table saw, a few rasps and a Dremel. The rifle is all handmade and yes it really does weigh in at 13.5 lbs. It used to be my wife's favorite plinker, now I need a blue standard to cut down and trick out for her. Yes, I'm a tinkerer. The loading bench it's sitting on began life as half rotten lumber salvaged from an abandoned feed mill right here in Mt. Vernon. The fir beams were original construction dating back to WWI.
How does it shoot? Pretty well. Off the bags @ 100 I have printed from just under half an inch to just under an inch. I'm not through playing with loads and I just discovered it likes 77gr bullets better than 69's. I shoot highpower with it (to shame the AR shooters and get stared at) and my prone groups are all in the 10 ring so far. I'm still very new to position shooting.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Wow! That is the finest handcrafted rifle I've seen, and a shooter as well. Your shooting the 1/2" groups with peep sights too. I can't see the front sight, and was wondering what sort of front sight blade do you have. Is it drilled & taped, or welded on? Very fine craftsmenship!;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CG, bless you! I wish I was shooting 1/2 to 1 moa with irons. That's scoped and off the bags I'm afraid. The FS is a Lyman 17 and it uses the standard assortment of inserts. It attatches by dovetail. I've been building/carving things out of wood since I was a kid. This is my first riflestock carved from slab. Quite a challenge, took me quite a while to do. Don't know if I'd ever do it again, but I'm happy with this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts