Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing some command guidance on some reloaded 223 ammo a hunting friend loaded from ages ago did for me. Its been 15yrs or so but I tried load it in my mag for the mini 14 and the very front of the bullet hits the edge of the magazine. Do you think I could just push the bullet down in the case a 1/16 inch so the bullet will fit w/o hitting or do you think it will push the pressure too high to risk?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
It really depends on what kind of powder charge is in the case and what bullets were loaded. Unless I absolutely knew what I had I would not seat them deeper. Its also my policy not to use someone else's reloads unless I totally know and trust them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It really depends on what kind of powder charge is in the case and what bullets were loaded. Unless I absolutely knew what I had I would not seat them deeper. Its also my policy not to use someone else's reloads unless I totally know and trust them.
Real good advise!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Measure the overall bullet length. Should not exceed 2.260".

How many you got loaded?

Larry

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm going to side with the conservatives on this: disassemble and reassemble for your rifle (i.e., reload them), do not shoot them.
Yes, it's a big PITA. In my younger and more impulsive/foolish days, I jumped on a gunshow super-great deal for 920 rounds of 5.56 NATO. Closer inspection at home revealed them to be reloads. Disassembling them took a few weeks, and I broke 1 inertial puller and beat another nearly to death, but I found 2 rounds with no powder in them.
Lesson learned.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)You can purchase the regular "die"type puller,learn to use it correctly,and never mark or damage a bullet!The only bullets that don't seem to work with them are cast or handgun types that "step down in diameter on the ogive of the bullet where it meets the cartridge case.The kinetic pullers seem to work the best with handgun,or large rifle cartridges with cast bullets.

·
Registered
437 Posts
;)You can purchase the regular "die"type puller,learn to use it correctly,and never mark or damage a bullet!The only bullets that don't seem to work with them are cast or handgun types that "step down in diameter on the ogive of the bullet where it meets the cartridge case.The kinetic pullers seem to work the best with handgun,or large rifle cartridges with cast bullets.
Yeah, that was the other lesson learned from that little adventure. It's not only a helluva lot easier to use a die puller, it's faster and infinitely more quiet. Well worth the minimal cost.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Measure the overall bullet length. Should not exceed 2.260".

How many you got loaded?

Larry
he's loaded several hundred many be thousands for me over the years but had a falling out a few years ago. This batch is a hundred rounds really hate to waste them and have tried several rounds hoping it was only a few but I'm not that lucky.:unsure:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could buy a bullet puller and remove a handful of these rounds, check the powder levels for consistency, etc, and then even individually weigh each one for variances. Once you are certain they are all equal, you could call up your old friend and see if he wants to come over and shoot a few! :D

They could be fine, and he may have loaded them using a neck sizer die only and had different head spacing from his gun to yours, or he could have been a fool and really didnt know what he was doing? You know him. Do you trust him with your eye sight, etc? Or worse? But until then, I am with Jeff on this.
I couldn't find any kind of a paper that said what load it was so I have no idea. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you do not have any reloading equipment it would not be worth your while to buy the equipment and de-load each round and try to figure out what you got.

100 rounds at the prices he loaded them at was maybe $.10 a round or less.

With what is gong on at today prices are most likely worth $.20 - $.30 a round.

I would buy them just to strip them down for the parts, but you cant ship them.

Maybe going to a gun show (before the exec orders are passed by congress), You can sell them to someone that is willing to take them apart for the components. (did i just break the law with that statement:ph34r:)

Larry

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the ideas, they will shoot I just need to load them one or two at a time, that's one in the chamber and one in the mag and they're fine, but what a pain. There is a gun show this weekend. hummm

Yea; they were loaded a long while ago, and you're not kidding about todays prices that's why I hate to just toss them if a simple correction will work, but I'm not sure if the risk is worth it or just how much risk there is if I did as mentioned at the beginning of the thread. If you reloading guys think there is a fairly high risk by seating the bullet a little lower in the case w/o knowing what is actually loaded in the case I'll just leave them as is and do the best I can.

·
Registered
447 Posts
he's loaded several hundred many be thousands for me over the years but had a falling out a few years ago. This batch is a hundred rounds really hate to waste them and have tried several rounds hoping it was only a few but I'm not that lucky.:unsure:
KISS and make up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
US Postal Service won't take ammo, but UPS does it all the time. Sure, you can still buy ammo online, but you can't buy what's not in stock. Finding any .223 / 5.56 NATO right now would be quasi-miraculous, unless you're willing to pay crazy money.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That is the reason I reload.

20 yrs ago I would'nt take the time to bend over and pick up a .223 brass after it was shot.

But at todays prices and availablity I'll take any brass I can get.

It is getting hard to find primers and bullets now, but I think I'm set for the hard times.

Larry

·
Registered
833 Posts
Once you pull a few... if the headstamp is the same... weigh bullets, and powder charges and brass from the pulled ammo and then weigh the rest and check for any significant variance... if they are all within a grain or two... you are PROBABLY ok, as brass can vary that much... otherwise... pull any oddball weight rounds...

Or pull em all... and redo them... thats the SAFEST bet! :D

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I bought over 200 rounds of Indian Ammo a while back. Couldn't trust the loads. I pulled some bullets and found the powder varied by as much as 4 grains. I pulled them all, filled them with some IMR and put the bullets back on top. Worked out well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts