Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone chime in on any failure to feed issues that they may have with their Mini 30's. I am wondering why I hear so many feeding/jamming issues involving AR's chambered in the 7.62x39 . I believe the fault is with the magazines. I've never heard anyone mention this with the Ruger Mini 30's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
All feeding problems I've had with either of my -30s has been fixed by changing magazines or 'tweaking' them. Some need a little trimming, some a revision in the feed lip curve, but if the magazine spits them up properly, the darn thing goes boom when I get my boogerhook on the bangswitch and pull...

·
Registered
331 Posts
+1

......All feeding problems I've had with either of my -30s has been fixed by changing magazines or 'tweaking' them....
Even two brand new Pro-Mag's needed a little help. But no "failure to feed" using the factory 5 round mag.'s.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
'American' brand 10 round mags do fine if you can find them. they are made in s/s also. ProMag 10's do OK too.
anything over that doesn't seem to do well but USA brand can be tweaked to do good.
'national', 'western' and 'ranger' brand is junk mostly but you might get one that does good.
post any success you have with after market mags. - and failures too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had tons of problems getting my mini 30 to run. Jamms and double feeds. I Was at the point that I was gonna sell it. A buddy told me about this site and came here to find out the answers.

If it is a mag problem where do I go to find out how to "tweek" the mags?

·
Registered
524 Posts
pills: don't know whether this will help your decision.
My wood/ss Mini 30 was in almost mint condition when bought in March '08 (built in '03-'04).
Two anonymous ten-rd. mags which came with it are junk, but-
the two metal Promags, ordered from Midway, which were bought last fall have done really well.

During the operation of mostly the blued mag, it has had about four misfeeds in about 600 rounds, with no tweaking at anytime. Not bad at all, and as I'm a civilian and have zero chance of battling bears, Al Qaeda, the Taliban, Hezbollah or even over-entitled Memphians in a future race riot (miles from here: just a matter of when), it suits my needs perfectly.
For what it's worth, I watched a buddy's AK clone (WASR) either misfeed or jam once during extraction/ejection, and he only fired about 60-80 rounds next to me that day.

The stainless mag has been used much less and don't have enough info, but although it only fed about 100 rounds, it seemed perfect. Using about 1,500+ rounds of only newer Wolf/Monarch, the rifle has had about ten ftfs (only first primer strike), but that is a very small percentage. This is the entire story for a nice, really fun carbine which has been cleaned after each session.

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is not a duty gun for me either, however I am getting a malfunction on every mag. I have 5-30 round steel mags that are not marked 1-30 round USA mag and 6-18 round Eagle mags. All came with the gun which was lightly used and always clean. I have not marked the mags but have tried a couple different steel and Eagle mags with simmilar results. Maybe I will give PROMAG a shot.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
the USA brand 20's can be 'tweaked' to do well. just some feed lip adjustment (use the factory mag to compare and calipers if you have to measure) and polish. the mag follower may need buffing to remove and roughness/burrs also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts