Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing any of the replay for life stuff?

I am donating my time and my bar-b-q pit to the local relay for life event. We are going to be selling hot links, hot dogs, chips, drinks,,,, and whatever else to raise money.

Gonna set everything up Friday, and try to stay up all night.

Last years event was closed at midnight due to bad weather coming in.

·
large member
2,089 Posts
Anyone doing any of the replay for life stuff?

I am donating my time and my bar-b-q pit to the local relay for life event. We are going to be selling hot links, hot dogs, chips, drinks,,,, and whatever else to raise money.

Gonna set everything up Friday, and try to stay up all night.

Last years event was closed at midnight due to bad weather coming in.
relay for life is a great event. i have been on teams and done the all nighter, etc.

anyone who has had a loved one with cancer should participate. its a great event and fub. our county raises tens of thousands each year.4

keep up the good work

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few years ago I helped out with a fund raiser for a lady with lung cancer. She lived about 2 1/2 years after she was diagnosed.

We cooked about 90 pounds of chicken quarters, and like 30 or 40 pounds of hot links. The money went towards treatments and transportation cost. even though she had insurance, it did not pay for everything.

Towards the end the cancer had spread to her brain. Once the cancer reached her brain, she went downhill quick.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've never heard of it Kev? Can you tell us what it is so we can look into it in our communities....
My brother beat Lymphoma but it was a hard battle that was touch and go for over three years. The battle was hard on him

·
large member
2,089 Posts
I've never heard of it Kev? Can you tell us what it is so we can look into it in our communities....
My brother beat Lymphoma but it was a hard battle that was touch and go for over three years. The battle was hard on him
i'm willing to bet a google search would yield some results. it is usually a county event in texas. it was all orginally started by a doctor who ran 24 hours to raise money for cancer research.

the current events are like a great big community event (at least in my county). people from elderly to elementary kids form teams to raise money for cancer in various ways. if you are on a team, you stay all night and walk or run, while your team raises money though games, food, etc.

survivors and those lost are held in special regard.

ita a great event. chek it out.

·
large member
2,089 Posts
A few years ago I helped out with a fund raiser for a lady with lung cancer. She lived about 2 1/2 years after she was diagnosed.

We cooked about 90 pounds of chicken quarters, and like 30 or 40 pounds of hot links. The money went towards treatments and transportation cost. even though she had insurance, it did not pay for everything.

Towards the end the cancer had spread to her brain. Once the cancer reached her brain, she went downhill quick.
yeah, we had a good friend who received stage 3 on ovarian cancer at about age 25ish. her insurance didn't pay sh**, cause she had just changed jobs and they called it pre existing (even though she had never had cancer). a charity similar to relay paid ALL her costs. she is a survivor 7 years now.

thanks for your service. these events DO MATTER. keep up the good work.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
We sing at three of the events every summer. Good cause.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good to see you back Goss!

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is an event where groups walk laps all night long. Here in Jasper county we walk around the county court house. The entire area around the court house is blocked off so that no through traffic is allowed.

All around where you walk, people have booths setup selling drinks, food,,,,,, all kinds of stuff. Each group gets a 20 foot section of road up against the sidewalk.

I am pulling my pit up there friday evening, and will be cooking sausage links

·
Registered
462 Posts
Great organization. I was the online chair (essentially the website maintainer) for the Greater Concord, NH Relay for Life for a couple years. This organization has a very passionate, dedicated group focused on raising awareness and money for cancer research and treatment. It's a community-based group with sponsorship from the American Cancer Society. To find out more information and to find your local Relay, visit Welcome to the Relay Nation | RelayForLife.org

Everyone who contributes, whether through fundraising or volunteerism, can feel good about what they do, knowing that they've helped not one, but many, many cancer patients and their families.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got to the county court house square a few minutes after 5pm, started setting up, and we were the only ones with a real pit. Last year there were maybe 3 pits selling a variety of food.

The event started at 7pm, and within minutes we had a line at our table. We were selling hotlinks - on a bun, stick, or flatbread.

In all, we raised a little over $600, which was then donated.

I dont think there were as many people at this years relay as last year. The weather was great, so I dont know what the issue was.

·
'Bout Ready
1 Posts
Kev...

Relay for Life is a great cause...I remember doing that one yr. here at the fairgrounds. That's so great that you help others. Am not sure...but I think they do it every spring or summer locally. They played music while participants walked around the arena.

I really appreciate you reminding me of the Relay as it's probably right around the corner.
Also...very glad that you shared that Relay for Life's funds go directly to the patients for things like transportation to med visits, and such. That's reassuring when wanting to work with an organization that helps persons with cancer.

I need to learn even more about it...and try to make it to each annual event here.

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts