Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the latest edition of the "American Rifleman" I saw the red dot site I wanted. To back up a bit........... I want to use the rings/mount that came with my 580 series Mini-14. I do not want to add rails or other tacti-cool parts to my Mini. I like the traditional look. Anyway, back to the story. The new Aimpoint Hunter looked like a traditional scope (at least one for a shotgun) and seemed to be the right length for mounting with the supplied Ruger rings. Everything I read was good until I got to the MSRP. Over $800!!!!!!!! :eek::blink: I didn't pay that for the rifle! Maybe I don't understand the technology or the economics. Maybe I'm just plain "cheap". Either way that option is "toast".

Now the question: Has anybody mounted a red dot using the supplied rings at a "reasonable" price (under $100) that they thought was worth it? Good value and good performance?

-AimHigh

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
First off,.......Ruger rings are 1'' id or 30mm id.
You will need to find an optic that has a tube of those sizes.

Secondly,..... QUALITY optics are not cheap! I have a $650 Leupold scope on a 1993 Remington that I bought for $350.
I am a firm believer in good optics, especially as I get older. :blink:

Most of the $100 range optics will not fit into the 1" or 30mm scope rings.
A picatinny rail, mounted to the receiver, or a scout mount such as an Amega-Ranges piece would be required.

·
Registered
34,555 Posts
Now the question: Has anybody mounted a red dot using the supplied rings at a "reasonable" price (under $100) that they thought was worth it? Good value and good performance?
Yes, Millet has a decent reddot that fits the supplied 1" rings. I use one. It has a 4MOA dot and isn't for precision shooting. I've seen some w/ 3MOA dot too. Battery life is not bad.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Now the question: Has anybody mounted a red dot using the supplied rings at a "reasonable" price (under $100) that they thought was worth it? Good value and good performance? Most sites like this utilize a single 30mm mount. Burris, LaRue, ARMS all make them.

-AimHigh
I went with a rail, that attaches to the Ranch Rifle grooves. The sight is a Vortex Strike Fire. Great glass, at a great price.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
.....Now the question: Has anybody mounted a red dot using the supplied rings at a "reasonable" price (under $100) that they thought was worth it? Good value and good performance?

-AimHigh
Thanks for asking the question,.......I've learned a good bit from this thread.

Have you decided upon an optic?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to print these and do some research on each.

I don't disagree that you get what you pay for. I'm not a soldier or a competitor. My Mini isn't for combat or competition. I have other firearms for home defense, and were I to use a .223 for hunting, my bull-barrel, single-shot H&R topped with a nice 4-12x scope would meet my needs. My Mini is for plinking and fun. My only competition is myself, and my brother-in-law on those occasions we shoot together. At 56 I'm wearing bifocals and (looking out the top half of my glasses) have trouble seeing the same things I used to see at 20, 30, or 40. I was hoping a red dot (at a reasonable cost) would help with the "fun factor" I used to have. Sorry, I should have stated my specific needs a little better.

-AimHigh

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not sure I follow your thinking...
Are you expecting the red dot will improve your accuracy over irons, because of bad eyesight?

I don't see how that can happen, without magnification??

·
Registered
602 Posts
I went with a rail, that attaches to the Ranch Rifle grooves. The sight is a Vortex Strike Fire. Great glass, at a great price.
Th vortex is a great red dot, It has been recommended to by a local LE weapons instructor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tobnpr; I have not used a red dot. I was told that a 1x RD scope would allow you to "sight in" on the target with both eyes open (shotgun style). I am nearsighted for normal objects and have been for the last 45 years. The top portion of my glasses is for far objects. The glasses themselves are "lineless" bifocals (a more recent problem). The bottom portion are for reading (you learn to look down with your eyes - not entire head when reading). When I get a good cheek weld on the Mini, I'm looking through the very top (thickest part) of the glasses. This is where the most light disortion is. With a red dot (both eyes open) and a more "heads up" position the more I see through the middle part of the glasses - it seems that it would be easier to see the "big picture". Hard to explain unless you're also an old fart with the same issues. :)

-AimHigh

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Din_Blix and Mannlicher,

I did some on-line research on the Vortex. Very good reviews. It's a little higher than my original price range ($150) but not that far out of the ball park. I would have to add a rail (see my OP) but hey............. so sense in being stubborn. So how much extra for the rail? Also I noticed the manufacurer has different ring heights (also a plus for me)

-AimHigh

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
freesw,

Saw the Millett, 1", 3MOA, advertised for $80 with shipping. Info says overall length is 4.16". This is looking better.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The only other mount I was able to find without doing some pretty serious looking was a
chi-com import by NC Star for $12 and it looked like chap Cr*p even in the pics.
I will say the slanting over the ejection port does keep the brass from hitting the mount on the Weigand.
Richard

·
Registered
108 Posts
The only other mount I was able to find without doing some pretty serious looking was a
chi-com import by NC Star for $12 and it looked like chap Cr*p even in the pics.
I will say the slanting over the ejection port does keep the brass from hitting the mount on the Weigand.
Richard
Sounds well thought out and I know Weigand makes quality stuff.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Din_Blix and Mannlicher,

I did some on-line research on the Vortex. Very good reviews. It's a little higher than my original price range ($150) but not that far out of the ball park. I would have to add a rail (see my OP) but hey............. so sense in being stubborn. So how much extra for the rail? Also I noticed the manufacurer has different ring heights (also a plus for me)

-AimHigh
Last I checked $150 on opticsplanet.com, I think an amega ranges or ultimak would be the better rail for these, those cheap rails that use the factory ring mounting points dont last long.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts