Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a -14 SS, Ranch (with the wood...purist) and I wanted to put a red dot on it. Has anyone done this, and if so, with which red dot? My local gun shop told me that I didn't have to spend more that $100 since the .223 doesn't have much a recoil.

Also, do I have any chance of hitting targets consisently at 100yds with a red dot?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Mini 14 on which I mounted a Tasco PDP3 red dot sight (less than $100). The red dot works fine and is not effected by recoil or cartridge discharge (my Mini 14 isn't the Ranch model so I had to add the B-Square scope mount).

The problem with the red dot sight is at 100 yds. the 'dot' covers a 6" circle. However, there are red dot sights available that allow you to increase or decrease the size of the 'dot'.

On the plus side the red dot allows quick target acquistion and allows you to keep both eyes open while sighting.

I also use a fixed 6x scope on the Mini 14 which works OK (although it's a short scope and with the B-Square mount I have to put my face uncomfortably close to the rear chamber of the rifle to focus).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You could hit a big target, red dots were designed with a pistol in mind not a rifle except at very close range. the red dot would allow you to aim at a deer sized target at 100 yards, But you would be aiming at the deer not a spot on the deer. With aa magnifiction adapter the dot would cover too much at that range.

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
The US Military uses red-dot sights on the M4! Aimpoint, to be precise. And the red dot can be had in sizes from under 4MOA to upwards of 12MOA, so they can be used for hitting targets with some precision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought the Millett SP-1 REDOT for my Ruger PC4 carbine. I haven't used it yet, so I can't endorse it whole-heartedly, but the main selling point was that the Dot is noticeably sharper (3 MOA) than the Tasco's in direct comparisons.
$109

I'll report back ith any unusual operation, good or bad.

MiniPearl

·
Registered
14 Posts
After sighting in the scope to the best of my ability at 50 yards, I shot a continual, but slow, succession of 40 rounds:
Ruger PC4, .40 S&W carbine, 16.25" barrel;
165 grain Federal FMJ
Millett SP-1 REDOT

15 inside 2" diameter circle
9 within 2.75" diam. circle
6 within 4" diam. circle
8 within 6"diam. circle
2 flyers: one at 3.6" radius, one at 2.1"radius

I really liked the scope. The 3 MOA dot seems to cover about 1.5" diam. circle at 50 yards, which would be theoretically correct.
I was pleasantly surprised at the scope/rifle accuracy. since I am no expert marksman, I felt that the scope/rifle was at least as accurate as my ability to hold it on target.

The intensity control needs to be on "max" when in bright sunlight, but it is visible (although becoming faint). In dusky conditions, the minimum intensity is barely visible enough for operation. I guess that indicates that the intensity control spans the proper range.

The scope's adjustments are claimed as .625 MOA/click. This seemed approximately correct during the adjustment period.

Summary: I am happy with it so far. Now, I am only hoping for long-term reliability.

I am also very happy with the PC4 carbine. Not a single jam or malfunction in the first 800 rounds, always using Federal 155 or 165 grain FMJ ammo.

MiniPearl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts