Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like there's an awful lot of choices out there. I was looking at the Mini-14, but the AR seems to be preferred.

Not out to win matches, or shoot competitively, just something I can plink accurately with. Willing to spend perhaps $1K initially.

Suggestions?

Mike

No Longer Involved
Bushmaster. Stay away from bottom feeders for your first AR, as they can turn you off the AR-15 for life.

Registered
Go get a dpms lower or comparative lower and get a parts kit from model one sales and build it yourself and save and most important learn. a stripped lower will cost about 130.00 and the a2 kit brand new from model one sales will cost 400.00. It takes about 30 to assemble. the upper is complete including the barrel, so all you are doing is installing fire control and furniture. simple screws and pins. model one kits are mil spec and suppost to be fn mfg (usgi). I have built several. And the best part is no tax on the 400.00 kit so you save a lot. You can get a pre ban kit and permanately install a a2 lookalike "muzzle brake" like the one from calvery arms and remove the sides of the bayonet lug and your gun will have the look of a pre ban the way they are suppost to look. Good luck.

Registered
I personally prefer the AR. There are so many things you can do with it in the way of configuration and accessories. You can dress it up or go casual.:D

:sniper:

Registered
Also brownells has one that is better looking . Its made by egw, they also have the cav arms and the wilson combat also.

Registered
I had a bad experience with a kit gun once. I had a Bushmaster lower receiver and bought a kit from some fly by night outfit in Arizona. I had extraction problems plus the chamber was a little too tight and casings got stuck when the gun heated up. The cincher was the fact that the screws holding the bolt carrier key weren't staked on. After about 2 or 3 rounds the bolt carrier key came loose. When I called the company that sent me the kit to ask them to repair my bolt carrier assembly I was treated with a fair amount of hostility. When they finally agreed to correct the problem and sent the bolt carrier back to me, the screws were swaged in all right. It looked like it was done with a sledge hammer. After some wheeling and dealing I ended up with a Bushmaster and I liked it so much that I bought another one so the first one wouldn't get lonely!
Jeff

Registered
I only own colts but I would only buy a Bushmaster other then Colt. They are well made. If you have a grand to spend, I wouldn't buy a kit gun. Just my opinion.:2guns:

Registered
How about this for a 1st AR-

All this for $739 plus shipping:

Rifle Specifications:

Upper Receiver: Forged 7075T6, 'A2' configuration, NM Rear Sight (1/4 Min. Windage/ 1/2 Min Elev.)"
Lower Receiver: Forged 7075T6, Includes laser engraved Ltd Edition AR15.COM numbers, McFarland 1 piece gas ring
Safety Switch: Milspec standard
Takedown pins: Milspec pushpins front and rear for easy, no tool takedown
Front sight: cast, NM
Rear sight: National Match Rear Sight (1/4 Min. Windage/ 1/2 Min Elev.)
Barrel: 20" Stainless Steel, sandblasted finish
Rifling: Right hand twist, 1 turn in 8"
Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO M16 chamber
Handguards: Milspec standard
Finish: hard coat anodized with Black T Coat
Stock: Standard A2
Grip: Standard A2
Bolt Carrier: Hard Chrome plated
Magazine: (2) Postban 10 round magazine
Overall length: 38.25"
Weight w/out handle: 9.25 lbs approx.
Warranty: 3 years

This is the AR15.com Limited Edition Group Purchase 2002 rifle. Last years was a Rock River Arms in a M4 type set up. If you want more info, go to AR15.com and look under Limted Edition Group Purchase forum. All you do is register on AR15.com, then go to Castle-Arms and order from their web page.

Registered
bushmaster, bushmaster,bushamster, i've owned them all the only one i trust is bushmaster . I would own a pre ban colt though. my man if you are going to buy a ar let the quality and customer service win you over dont go on what you hear and dont buy a parts gun either it will sour u on ar's forever trust me i know from experience. polymer ar's dont work either cav arms suck. a buddy of mine bought one and took it back a week later biggest POS he had ever bought . I tried to tell him but he was hard headded rember u get what u pay for.

Registered
Had to add my .0000002垄 worth to this. I have only owned two AR15s both were Colt. Both pre-ban. One with the carring handle and the other in a flat top. Becasue of hard times, they went down the road. My new purchase (trade) was a new Olympic Arms Ar 15 bull barrel flat top. Sorry, but if I had it to do over again I would purchase the Olympic. Would not look back to the Colt. Out of the box, nothing done to it, shot better than both Colts that were both worked over by gunsmiths and had parts added to make them shoot better. When you can take a weapon, add a scope and get 1/2-groups at 100 yards out of the box, I am all smiles. :D But that is just my personal experience. Never shot a Bushy, but heard they are great guns too.
:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts