Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much recoil does a .223 have compared to a 12gauge? I have never shot a .223 so I am trying to get a estimate does it have alot I haven't shot too many long guns just shotguns and .22 rifles, mostly a handgun guy so excuse the ignorance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The .223 has very little recoil to it (of course this depends on the rifle selected). For example, the Ruger Mini 14 has very little recoil. The .223 cartridge, however, is very loud!

·
Registered
169 Posts
.223 Rem has about 3 lbs. of recoil... a 300 wtby mag has ~37 lbs of recoil

hope that kind of gives you a good perspective.

·
Registered
41 Posts
u can get a basic idea of recoil, by multiplying the projectile wt, in grains, x velocity in fps, and drop the meaningless zeros. So, say a 223 is 60 grs at 3100 FPS, that comes to 18.6 recoil-momentum. A 12ga is say, 1 1/8 oz, at 1300 fps. An oz is 438.5 grs. So figure on 488 grs, x 1200 fps 58. somthing recoil momentum, or about 3x as much. If you use a gasoperated autoloader, about 1/4 of the recoil is not felt. Also, the shootgun is a smoothbore, no rifling, and the plastic, collapsible wad column and pie crimp also make the recoil a bit milder. A ..45 auto has about the same recoil as does the 223. In a carbine, it's very mild. In a pistol, it's stiffer, but still quite controlable, with a full size and wt 1911, and normal loads, with just one hand. With a pistol, however, your cheek and shoulder are not being impacted, and the wrist and elbow can "give" a bit, lessening the felt recoil, as compared to a shouldered longarm.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I really don't understand your concern about recoil. The .223, for any brand of firearm, does not bruise your shoulder like a 12 gauge.

Have you experienced the recoil of a 12 gauge full choke single-shot? That is the cheapest shotgun you can buy and, typically they kick like a mule.

The Ruger mini-14 won't come close to kicking like that. But if you want improvements in that department, the mini-14 can be better tamed, very cheaply with a recoil buffer and a smaller gas port.

KC

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You'll have no problem with a .223's recoil. Its a pussycat compared to some other hunting rifles.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You can shoot all day long with the 223. I started my son out with it at age 8. It was with an AR. With the springs and all there is very little pop to it. Now at 13 he is big enough to shoot my single shot and the mini's all day. Its a nice little round.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
recoil an .223

isnt that an oxymoron?

thats like having Ballistic tipped .22LRs

LOL im only joking as the other fellas aboved have already nailed it. very very mild to nill in a semi auto rifle!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Originally posted by benji@Apr 11 2004, 08:33 PM
u can get a basic idea of recoil, by multiplying the projectile wt, in grains, x velocity in fps, and drop the meaningless zeros. So, say a 223 is 60 grs at 3100 FPS, that comes to 18.6 recoil-momentum. A 12ga is say, 1 1/8 oz, at 1300 fps. An oz is 438.5 grs. So figure on 488 grs, x 1200 fps 58. somthing recoil momentum, or about 3x as much. If you use a gasoperated autoloader, about 1/4 of the recoil is not felt. Also, the shootgun is a smoothbore, no rifling, and the plastic, collapsible wad column and pie crimp also make the recoil a bit milder. A ..45 auto has about the same recoil as does the 223. In a carbine, it's very mild. In a pistol, it's stiffer, but still quite controlable, with a full size and wt 1911, and normal loads, with just one hand. With a pistol, however, your cheek and shoulder are not being impacted, and the wrist and elbow can "give" a bit, lessening the felt recoil, as compared to a shouldered longarm.
You know, if GK would stick to reasonable posting, and not go off on his lunatic ravings, then he wouldn't be so bad. Obviously he has some knowledge of firearms, it's just too bad when he goes over the top.

·
Banned
3,689 Posts
Maybe I shoot differently, but isn't recoil the force exerted on the shooter by the firearm? For the same cartridge, a firearm that is heavier(more mass) will exert less force on the shooter than a lighter one(less mass) due to its greater inertia. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so in that theory mikgiver. stay away from carbon fiber alloy .308 bolt actions!!!

you are right in one aspect. stance an person to weapon weld have a great deal on felt recoil also.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by migyver@Apr 14 2004, 01:18 PM
Maybe I shoot differently, but isn't recoil the force exerted on the shooter by the firearm? For the same cartridge, a firearm that is heavier(more mass) will exert less force on the shooter than a lighter one(less mass) due to its greater inertia. :rolleyes:
Ture, but not true. If the lite gun has a break or is a gas gun you will have less felt recoil. And in the case of the AR's. You can have a break on a gas gun that has a recoil spring in the rear stock eating up lots of recoil. So, like I said, yes and no. It depends on the firearm. My H-bar NEF, in 223, has less felt recoil than the one I have with the lite bbl on it.

·
Banned
3,689 Posts
Originally posted by willyjixx@Apr 14 2004, 07:00 AM
so in that theory mikgiver. stay away from carbon fiber alloy .308 bolt actions!!!

I should have stated, with all variables constant except mass and for the same cartridge, a lighter rifle will exert more recoil on the shooter. For instance, take two mini-14 ranch models and equip them identically. With or without
a muzzle break if you like as long as they are identically equipped. Fire them using the same ammunition and compare the recoil. With very minor variations the recoil should be the same, but remember all variables being constant. Now take one of the two stocks and add some weight to it, like drilling holes beneath the butt-plate with an auger and filling them in with lead. Again, with all variables held constant except the change in mass, fire the guns and compare the recoil. The mini-14 without the extra mass will exert more recoil on the shooter than the one with the added mass.

As far as carbon-fiber and aluminum stocks go with regards to recoil, I don't think the material is a factor. The mass of the stock regardless of the material used is a factor. You can have two carbon-fiber and aluminum stocks constructed identically except for one having some added internal mass, and again, with all
other variables held constant, the identical gun with the mass added to the stock will exert less recoil on the shooter. By the way, I'm not bothered by the recoil on any of my guns, I was just taking issue with the way "benji" was determining recoil. :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by migyver@Apr 15 2004, 02:20 AM

I should have stated, with all variables constant except mass and for the same cartridge, a lighter rifle will exert more recoil on the shooter. For instance, take two mini-14 ranch models and equip them identically. With or without
a muzzle break if you like as long as they are identically equipped. Fire them using the same ammunition and compare the recoil. With very minor variations the recoil should be the same, but remember all variables being constant. Now take one of the two stocks and add some weight to it, like drilling holes beneath the butt-plate with an auger and filling them in with lead. Again, with all variables held constant except the change in mass, fire the guns and compare the recoil. The mini-14 without the extra mass will exert more recoil on the shooter than the one with the added mass.

[/quote]
Like I said before.........My H-bar NEF, in 223, has less felt recoil than the one I have with the lite bbl on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Camera man

doesnt wight of the weapon effect felt recoil?

thats what i meant by the carbon fiber stock say vs a wood stock

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by willyjixx@Apr 15 2004, 03:29 AM
Camera man

thats what i meant by the carbon fiber stock say vs a wood stock
Yeap. If you read my post again. I say my H-bar (heavy bbl) NEF kicks less than the lite bbl 223. I took the wood off one of my 30-06's and put on plastic stocks. I made it as lite as I could. Its not for plinking, its for huntin. So I plan on only shooting it once ;) in the woods. But it kicks like a mule.

·
Banned
3,689 Posts
Originally posted by willyjixx@Apr 14 2004, 07:29 PM
Camera man

That's what we're all trying to tell you Willyjixx! Yes, it does make a difference. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts