Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one recognize this brake/sight combo. I believe it is an older Choate, but I am not sure. I am sure the barrel on my mini was cut and threaded, but I am considering changing this to a longer compensator with no front sight. Hopefully if I can identify the unit on it now i can find info on its thread pattern.

Jimbo

Attachments

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The Choate Bridcage flash hiders pin on. And the pin is on the underside of the barrel, not the top where the factory sight pin is. A slot needs to be drilled into the barrel for the pin.

If you look carefully at this photo, you can see the pin down below.

Yours looks like it may have been soldered on. It may require a gunsmith to remove.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Choate Bridcage flash hiders pin on. And the pin is on the underside of the barrel, not the top where the factory sight pin is. A slot needs to be drilled into the barrel for the pin.

If you look carefully at this photo, you can see the pin down below.

Yours looks like it may have been soldered on. It may require a gunsmith to remove.
Not sure how old this unit is the gun is a 185 mfg dqte of 1989, according to the Ruger call center it was a standard barrel 18.5 (I think) with a 1 in 7 twist. The guy i bought it from said his dad had the barrel cut down and the site installed. you can see machining where the suppressor attaces to the barrel so I assumed it was threaded. The Site/suppressor does not have a pin like the one in your picture, but it has an allen set screw on the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
You can clearly see where the hole for the roll pin has been soldered over in your picture. It is at the bottom edge just forward of the set screw.

I think the "machining"you are talking about is the normal barrel taper forund on the older minis.

I have on just like it.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Choate has not changed the design of their Bridcage flash suppressor. They still come with a set screw. And have always had the roll pin on the underside.

As Bolero said, you can see where solder has been used in the roll pin's hole, and those machining marks are on all of the older barrels.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
for what it's worth the Eagle Mini flash hider/front sight combo which had the HK type front sight (no longer made) used the top pin to fasten it to the barrel
the CT looks good though. good mod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts