Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Sniper thanks for your time

OK so there's a gun show this weekend. If I don't find a Mini 14 to tinker with, I'd consider picking up a reciever & parts kit to assemble an ar15. So who makes the best out there? is forged better than milles or the other way around? What about the lightweight plastic versions? Anything to stay away from?

Good online source for building?

Thanks

No Longer Involved
Plastic? Agh!

Bushmaster and Colt are both good. Bushies have "mil spec" internals (i.e. same pins) while Colt have oversized pins for the hammer/trigger/sear assembly, so it limits your choices there.

I have no problems with Oly either for a receiver-only. But stay away from the Oly internals, if they are anything like the ones they shipped in 1999.

I replaced my Oly internals with a parts kit from DPMS. Still a "stock" internals set, but the trigger seems much smoother with less creep.

Registered
DPMS is one of the best lowers I've seen, in my opinion. It's a forged unit made from 7075 aircraft aluminum alloy tempered to T6 condition. Their parts kit for the lower is a must. Depending on what you're after, a 2-stage trigger is a nice add-on. DPMS lowers are around $180 or so. They have a stainless steel lower also, twice the price but stronger than the other. Trigger....about the same.

Rock River makes a fitted upper and lower set that I've seen. Seems to be well-made. You're lookin at around $300 for the set.

Fulton Armory sells a lower that I've never seen or dealt with so I can't say anything about it.

Here's links to the three that I've mentioned.

DPMS

Rock River

Fulton Armory

One thing to keep in mind on the barrel, the faster the twist.......the faster it wears out. I'd suggest a chrome-lined, non National Match with a 1-9 twist. It's very versatile.

Hope this helps.

:sniper:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would Colt be non mil-spec? I thought they made the military rifles?

OK now for the questions to show how new I am at this...

What is a two stage trigger?

Is the matched upper & lower just to elliminate the headspace issue or is there another advantage?

What should the whole "sha-bang" cost for a middle of the road setup?

No Longer Involved
Colt went to oddball pins in the hopes that it would keep the government off their case, and that few people would illegally add "go fast" parts to their lowers.

The rest of the industry uses milspec dimensions, although they may or may not have room in the receiver for a full-auto sear.

Registered
built my heavy barrel flat top on a stripped DPMS lower a few years back and it has been a fine shooter. ... my 2 cents ...:ar15:

Registered
A two stage trigger allow for a lighter break than a single stage, while not going below a bare minimum for safety.
Say for example on a AR you can't go below 6 pounds on a trigger and still be safe - how would you get a 4 pound? (numbers pulled out of thin air, I have no idea what the min is)
Two stages - pull the trigger and you get 2 pounds of resistance (first stage) then it is hits the next stage as you pull at 4lbs then it breaks.
So at rest you get 6 pounds, enough to be safe, but the two stages allow you to break it up and go as light as possible.
Did that make sense :confused:

Registered
The matched upper and lower makes a better fit between the two. The kits are anywhere from $400 to $700, depending on where you get it and what type of set you're looking for. You might find them cheaper but I'd steer clear of the bottom feeders for your first and maybe your only one. I personally think the AR-15 is superior to the Mini-14. I'm probably just a little biased in my opinion.........well okay, A LOT BIASED.:D

Bushmaster

Here's Bushmaster's site. As Bill mentioned, they're a very nice setup too.

:sniper:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
djskit- Yes that makes perfect sense.

Sniper- The only reason I'm looking at the Ar's is so I can throw dirt in the Ar & dirt in the Mini to see which one I'd bet my life on!!:p :p :p

(sorry couldn't the cheap shot)

I'll keep an open mind.

Sounds like DPMS or Bushmaster.

Thanks guys!

Registered
DPMS also makes cast recievers.If you want forged be sure it has the forging lines in the trigger housing & front area of the mag well.My man (Mario) at DPMS says the casts are just as strong and have the same warranty.He says they are cast by the most experienced casters around.Can you guess who that is?The cast are about $40.00 cheaper.Don't forget about Olympic Arms,GREAT stuff.They have a Titanium reciever now.:sniper:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts