Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This is my first FAL-type rifle, purchased off of Gun Broker. Please correct any errors I might make.

The lower has UE 63 which I understand to mean made in the UK by Enfield in 1963.

The right has L1A1 Sporter CAI St. Alban VT although "Sporter: looks sort of ground out. Century Arms, not the best I have read but its my first FAL type. Plus its got that goofy thumbhole stock (what is the reason for the existence of these beastly stocks??).

My main question is is this an Inch pattern or Metric pattern. I thought being a UK L1A1 it would be inch patter but what I thought was an inch mag DOESNT fit (below)

DIDNT FIT

This one below (smaller projection, I thought = Metric) DID FIT.

I am really confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is this some unholy mix of Inch lower and Metric upper?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
370 Posts
These were slapped together by Century Arms after the 94 assualt weapons ban and in order to make them compliant, they put a thumb hole stock on them and took off the bayonet lug.

If it was put together well which coming from Century Arms is a complete crap shoot, it should operate very well and prove worthy enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. As I am a noob, am I getting the magazines wrong? I thought the inch pattern mags had the more pronounced mag "catch" or whatever you call the piece of metal that engages the inside of the receiver, and that on the metric pattern these are much smaller.

Havent shot it yet, wanted to clean it first. Nice overall, a little bit of surface rust on the barrel and gas tube that I only picked up after I wiped it down with ballistoil and a whit cotton rag. Plunger on gas plug was stuck but a little WD40 broke it loose. Should prob find some Break-Free. Will shoot it this week. Have already ordered replacement parts to get rid of thumbhole stock. I cant reach the safety with that thing.

JB

·
Registered
437 Posts
You appear to have an "Inch" receiver, and your understanding of the differences between Inch and metric mags is quite correct. However, it's also quite possible for a Century Inch receiver to be cut for metric mags. Anything Century is kind of a crapshoot, but once they're together and functioning, they work.
Your pix don't show the front inside of the magwell, so I can't be sure of which mag it's cut for. Here's a link showing the differences in Century receivers:
The main difference between the inch and metric receivers is the cut in the forward face of the magazine well

Although your SLR/L1A1 may seem like a mongrel, that mix of features actually optimizes the rifle, IMO. The folding CH and rear sight, the nice big selector and mag release set up for your left hand are all good things. The trigger could be better, but it can be improved.

When ordering a new buttstock and pistol grip, did you order a pistol grip bushing? Century ground them off, and you'll need to replace it in order to mount the PG. Most local hardware stores will have one. They call them "bronze flange bearings". The one you want is 1/4 x 3/8 x 15/32 x 1/2 inches. Most of them will be made by Hillman Co.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a picture of the mag well from the underside.

So it seems metric mags are more prevalent...OK good to know. But now I have three inch mags that dont fit...

I thought it might be as you said inch receiver cut for metric mags but I hadnt read of that happening.

And yes, thank you for the confirmation I did order a pistol grip bushing from Gunthings. There is an older thread on FALFILES I think that has a list of parts needed to ditch the thumbhole stock (basically all the trigger plate hardware including plunger and spring, the grip bushing, grip screw). Arizona Response Systems sell the trigger harware as a package (trigger plate, plunger, plunger spring, grip screw, plate screws) for $15.

The rifle seems well maintained, except for the aforementioned rust in the gas plug plunger. gas tube was gunked but the bore was spotless. I think it will be a good entry-level FAL to learn the platform and help me make better informed decisions on the next one (possibly DSA SA58 if they ever get them in stock again).

Cheers

JB

·
Registered
1 Posts
using inch macgs in metric upper receiver

As noted in a previous reply, the upper is a Century metric, while the rest of the gun is an Inch build. Your inch mags can be modified to work in the metric upper, or you can enlarge the cutout (as pictured) to accept the inch mags. If the cutout is enlarged, then both Inch and Metric mags will work in this riffle.:)
If you do not want the scope, PM me and let me know what you would want for it. I might be interested if the price is right.:)
Farmhand2710

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is a picture of the mag well from the underside.

So it seems metric mags are more prevalent...OK good to know. But now I have three inch mags that dont fit...

JB
I have several FN mags that I picked up for my RRA LAR-8. Some are inch and some are metric. When I get back home in March, I see what I have and maybe we can work a swap. I'll send you a message when I get back if you're interested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The weird thing is everything else on the receiver is Inch pattern, its just the mag engage notch thats Metric. Charging handle, Fire/safe selector, front sight, gas block, top cover etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.