Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased one of the plastic tactical stocks from ATI for my 10-22. It doesn't fit tight anywhere on the rifle. From the back of the receiver to the stock there is a .070" gap. From the ejector side of the receiver to the stock it's .015", and from the other side to stock is .035". I don't know anything about bedding, but isn't the idea to have the receiver fit the stock like a hand in a glove?????

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Right on both counts. There are several good kits out there. I believe Volquartsen makes one with directions specifically geared towards the 10/22. Never used that one though, I normally use Brownell's Acraglas kits. There are also several good videos on you tube to help with the job if you need it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks, I'll get a kit on order. The poor wife automatically goes and sits on the porch at 4pm every day to meet the UPS driver who "is" going to be delivering some kind of firearm related shipment. :lol: She knows it, even without asking me. Now I ask you, is that a bad thing????? ;)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Sounds like a keeper to me. Mine wanted to bitch all the time about my buying and selling, while most of my buying was funded by stuff I was selling but she had no problem running our account overdrawn on a monthly basis buying shoes and purses and clothes that were way out of her age range. That is why I am single again. :lol::lol:;);)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my fourth wife..........and we are both widowed from our last partners. We know what's important in life and choose our "battles" wisely. I'm 68 years old and she's 62............we don't quibble over the small stuff in life. It's more important to have a loving partner for this final stretch of the journey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, Woodstock, I ordered the Volquarten bedding kit, along with their allen head takedown screw. Also ordered the muzzle crowing tool. I'll see what these two improvements do to my group size. Sure can't be worse than it is right now! I also ordered the Final Finish ammo from David Tubbs. I've read both advocate and opposition comments about it and seemed to find more "for" than "against". We'll see if all of this helps.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Oh, Woodstock, I ordered the Volquarten bedding kit, along with their allen head takedown screw. Also ordered the muzzle crowing tool. I'll see what these two improvements do to my group size. Sure can't be worse than it is right now! I also ordered the Final Finish ammo from David Tubbs. I've read both advocate and opposition comments about it and seemed to find more "for" than "against". We'll see if all of this helps.
Be sure to post up some results on the Final Finish kit. I'm still on the fence, myself. ;)

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,261 Posts
I used JB Weld years ago on my Marlin .22 and it made it totally locked into the stock, and for a cheap, 80.00 rifle from K-Mart that I bought in 1985, it was pretty accurate.

I just waxed the action with paste wax, leaving it thick on the action so the JB weld would not stick to it.

I'd cleaned up the stock, masked off everywhere I did not want the JB weld to go on the stock.

As the final part, I used two small pieces of saran wrap on the action, over the wax, to "bed" it into the stock.

Put it into place, tightened the screw, and let it sit for 20 min. The JB Weld got quite hot, then cooled, and I took it apart, the saran wrap worked perfect, I most likely did not need the wax, but it was how I was told to do it by a friend of the family who has many hunting rifles...

Very little clean up, I did not use much JB Weld, and it never came out of the stock, and the action was dang tight, zero rattles/movement, and a mostly accurate rifle became a cheap tack driver with iron sights... (I did not put an optic on that rifle until about 1989, and then I bought a 1022, and it was finally traded off as part of a deal for a CX4)

I've not seen any need to bed the 1022, it's dang tight in the Hogue stock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate your comments. Of course, while you say you don't need to bed your receiver because your stock is tight, I do, because mine isn't. (see post #1):lol:

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,261 Posts
Yep, 10-4 on that. :)

I'm just adding that JB Weld worked fine, and it's dang cheap. (And can be filed, painted etc.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I've certainly got egg on my face! I ordered the Volquartsen bedding system thinking it was the kind of epoxy bedding material we've been discussing to bed my receiver. Turns out it's simply an aluminum fitting to tighten the barrel down against. I was able to drill my plastic stock and install it, but haven't had a chance to go to the shooting bench and see if it improved the accuracy. Frankly I'm skeptical, but we'll see. Now I have to start over and get some kind of bedding material for the receiver.

I've noticed the receiver is pretty much tight in the stock on the bottom. But, as I mentioned previously, it's certainly not towards the top. The mold had a pretty drastic taper to allow the plastic stock to easily eject from the mold base. But I want the receiver tight from top to bottom and in-between the stock and receiver in the back, right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
...I've noticed the receiver is pretty much tight in the stock on the bottom. But, as I mentioned previously, it's certainly not towards the top. The mold had a pretty drastic taper to allow the plastic stock to easily eject from the mold base. But I want the receiver tight from top to bottom and in-between the stock and receiver in the back, right?
Correct, you want the receiver to fit as tight as possible but still come out of the stock. The barrel should free float from the barrel nut forward in the stock, about a biz card thickness of clearance minimum. I suppose that the ATI stock has that going for it and you won't have to make any clearance adjustments for the barrel.

Acraglas is great and JB Weld works well also, but is much cheaper, as has been pointed out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. Never improved my bedding from the standard fit of the stock. But have improved my shot groups considerably by fire-lapping my barrel. Fire-lapping is a very slow process and one that takes longer on a stainless barrel such as mine..................but well orth it. I've still a session or two with the fire-lapping to get my 10-22 down to the point I can consistently head-shoot squirrels............but I'll get there. But I do plan on trying to bed the receiver in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.