Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some solid recommendations for a pistol for every day carry. My current carry is a .38 special hammerless revolver, but I'm considering letting my wife take it over and getting something with more punch. My other revolvers are a bit...unwieldy for CWP carry.

I've always been a fan of revolvers, and have a lot more experience with them than I do autos. I've used the current military Berretta 9mm, and shot a buddy's Sig Sauer and Walther PPK. Never owned one, though.

I'm looking for a full or mid size pistol, in a .40 or .45. I'm considering the Taurus PT-140, but I'm old fashioned at heart, and am also strongly drawn to a 1911. ;) I typically carry in a IWM holster with a Western style leather vest to conceal the handle bulge. Would a 1911 be to obvious this way? Any personal reviews or links are appreciated.

Thanks,
DocWagon

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have two friends who tell me the Taurus PT140 does not live up to its name. I have a PT92 that I love and would defend it of criticism it is as reliable as my Beretta and shoots as well, if not better. Its all a matter of opinion but If I may, I assume your looking for something to conceal for self defense. The Glock 23 .40 is a dream to carry, the Sig P229 is excellant as well. Or the Hk usp is nice. If your looking for a .45acp the sky is the limit. Off duty I always carry my Sig P229 in .357 sig in a Kramer Belt Holster. I usually dont even know its there unless I need to think about it. Sometime I rotate and carry my Glock 23 in .40 auto. You might want to go fel of several different guns to see which one fits your hand best, and has the best point of aim. Good Luck.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with the recommendation on the Kahr - I have a Texas CHL and have carried my K9 9mm since 1995. Being all steel, it offers no more recoil than my HiPower and is easier to hide. Kahr has really expanded their line since I bought my K9, you can now get the .40cal version in stainless and the reduced size MK40 as well. They also offer night sights and versions with polymer frames which reduce weight but enhance recoil. However, if you don't mind trying to hide a 1911, you can't go wrong there, either. Sigs and Glocks are also great choices, but for concealed carry I don't want to put up with a wide butt, double column 10 round gun.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Another to consider might be the Colt Defender in either 40 or 45. Small, light, accurate and the 1911 style. If you are more comfortable with a revolver, why not just upgrade to a 357? Virtually all of the sizes avail in 38 are in 357 also. One of my personal favorites is a Colt Magnum Carry (wouldn't you know that when Colt finally got it right they quit).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. After reading your posts and talking with my uncle and a local gunsmith, I decided on the .40 S&W in a mid size.

I looked at the Colt defender, and the Kahr. I also looked at a few others which seemed to be of a cheaper build quality, although I am no expert. Llama and Witness are the two that come to mind.

I ended up with a CZ 40B. The pieces fit tightly, I like the look of the gun, and its got a good weight. It is all metal, which I prefer. The reviews were good, and for the money I couldn't turn it down.
There's a picture of the model at http://www.empirearms.com/CZ-40.gif

I ended up paying $350 for the pistol, new with the case, cleaning rod and brush, cable lock, two magazines and a magazine loader. CZ seems to give you some extra goodies, although the case is a bit tough to close with all of that in there.

The gunsmith was telling me about 650 of these pistols, in DAO, that CZ made for Colt before the contract was canceled. Seems they are quite pricey now, due to the rarity of the limited production. I'm in it to shoot it, not as an investment, so the 40B will be fine for me.

Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You did good. CZ makes a very good, reliable gun especiallly for the money. I thought that you were looking for a smaller gun instead of Commander size.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the CZ should rank right behind the Colt 1911. Your 40B is based on the 75B, the second most copied handgun design in the world.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek:

I'm very happy with my CZ. Fired 50 rounds from about 15m to familiarize myself with the weapon. 90% within a 8" circle, firing two handed, unsupported.

Ergonomics are excellent, and the gun just feels right in your hand. For the money, I'd recommend it based on first impressions. The reputation says it has longevity and reliabilty as well, but of course its too early to make a personal recommendation on that one.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
How are the sites on the CZ 40B? Easy to locate and align? Have you tried a rapid fire?

:sniper: :trooper:
DIE YOU ALIEN PIG, DIE!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the sight picture, and think they are easy to pick out. Much better than the sights on the Gov't Beretta, anyway. I have trouble picking out dark targets with my Taurus hammerless, but it isn't a problem with the CZ. I used black circular targets as well as white man-shape targets, and could get a good sight on both. This was in good light, though.

I haven't tried a rapid fire or any draw and fire exercises, yet. I'd also like to do some twilight shooting, but I'm still in the "feeling things out" stage now.

I work 10 hour days and am taking some courses over the Internet, so I don't have much time to shoot until Friday rolls around. I'll probably try some exercises within the next week, and I'll let you know how it goes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can answer the rapid fire question now. :D

I loaded each magazine with 3 rounds, and fired them off at a man-shaped target at 10m, 15m, and 18m. Each time I quickly drew the pistol, took quick aim, and fired three rounds as quickly as I could pull the trigger.

10m almost always resulted with 3 hits, running up and slightly right. I had a few that the 3rd shot missed, however. 15m had mostly 2 hits, a few three, and a couple of ones. At 18m, I hit the wall, so to speak. Missed the target all together a few times. Several one hits, and a couple of 2 hits. After 21 rounds, I never had 3 on paper at 18m. I then tried slowly aiming at then rapidly firing the remaining two rounds. This resulted in a pretty even mix of 1 hit/2 hit rounds.

Truth of it is, I'm holding the pistol back, not vice versa. I don't have a rest that I can fire it from, but CZ includes the factory target that was used to set the sights to 25m, and I haven't approached that level of accuracy from the same distance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Light, with punch, I prefer the star PD in 45, the old 44 special charter arms revolver or the 9mm tokarov, I know, kind of old, they aren't sexy, and they don't do well with 10,000 rounds a year. and I like blazer ammo, because it is light. My great grandfather carried the 32 colt as a county sheriff in the 20's thru 40's for the same reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts